Does anyone have a child with slow development and growth disabilities. I just need some support about my sons issues if anyone else is going through the same thing. The Gastro doc wants to put a G tube in him.

We are new to Anchorage as of July 2008. We are at Elmendorf AFB. My son Robbie will be 8 in a couple of months and weighs 39lbs and is 44in tall. His Gastro doc flys in from Hawaii and said we will probably have to move again to a place that can monitor him after they put the G tube in because there isn't a Peds Gastro doc here in Anchorage. Is there anyone that had or has a child with a G tube to tell me their thoughts on it. Anything would be appreceiated. Thank you.

sandy050

Asked by sandy050 at 4:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Kids' Health

• My 1 yr old has had a g-tube since she was 3 mo. It is a scary thing to go through at first. It's a TUBE that just sticks out of her belly! So you wonder does it hurt? will it get stuck and pulled on something? etc. Well, no it doesn't seem to hurt after it is healed, which is relatively quick. Yes, it can get snagged (based off of experience). She only cried for a few seconds. They offer a "button" or a "t shaped" tube. Because you are not close to the GI, I would suggest the T shaped one. From my understanding it is more durable. Where as the button can more easily be pulled out. My daughter has the T shaped and we have never had any problems with it coming out (and she even tugs on it herself!) May God ease you and your family through your situation.
    5_girlz

Answer by 5_girlz at 1:33 AM on Jan. 23, 2009

• well they can teach you how to do it but i would move close to were they can be monotoring him good luck
    FIVEHAPPYHEARTS

Answer by FIVEHAPPYHEARTS at 4:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• sorry to hear that dal we think our sons got austsm he is three years old11months delevopment delay
    supermum2

Answer by supermum2 at 12:19 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I don't fall under the same issues with my son but have you been referred to an endocrinologist? My son has a pituatary issus and does not produce his own growth hormones. He actually fell off the growth chart by 10 months and it took until 4 fighting to have him seen. He was 5 and wearing 3T and the doctor said oh that's normal. Okay all my husband's family including girls are over 6 feet tall so that's not normal. Just a thought.
    pagirl71

Answer by pagirl71 at 10:06 AM on Jan. 22, 2009