What do you think of doctors?

Do you think they give you the worst case scenerio to cover their own asses from a potential lawsuit? Do you usually trust everything they say, do your own research, or get second opinions?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• MY DOC IRRITATES ME! LIKE I KNOW WHAT WRONG AND HE'S TELLING ME! UHHG IT BUGGS ME. AND HELL NO I DO NOT BELIEVE EVERYTING SAY.. I HAVE LEARNED WHEN I WAS PREG WITH MY SON THEY KEPT TELLING ME THEIR WAS SOMETHING HORRIBILY WRONG WITH MY SON AND TWO YRS LATER MY SON IS PERFECTLY FINE?? I GET THREE OPINIONS ALWAYS!! IN TWO DIFFERENT COUNTIES! LOL
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 4:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I judge my docs and make decisions accordingly. My OB was GREAT, so I trusted her opinion. However, I was told by a dermatologist that I was allergic to flea bites, and every time I got bit, all my old flea bites would flare up. I went to another derma, who actually did a biopsy and it turns out I have Urticaria (chronic hives). Some docs are fantastic. Some are terrible.
    toriandgrace

Answer by toriandgrace at 4:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I dont trust the doctor all the time... for example I changed my son's pediatrician a while ago because I was just not confortable with the other doctor... antibiotics was his answers for everything! I didnt like that!

I did seek a second opinion when they told me my son needed tubes... and after the second doctor confirmed he needed I went through with the tubes.

I love my OB and trust his opinion... but my first OB was horrible!!!!!!!!!
    Paty_hotmommy

Answer by Paty_hotmommy at 4:53 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My first OB was awful! I had pre-eclampsia and she never diagnosed me even though I had every symptom except for protein in my urine. Turns out sometimes you don't have protein and they need to do blood tests to check your liver or something. I gained 55lbs in the last 8 weeks of my pregnancy, had right upper quadrant pain, my blood pressure went from being around 80 over 58 (seriously mine is normally so low that if I want to donate blood they make me run around a parking lot first!) and it went up to 139/110, but noooo, I had no protein so I was ok. I even lost vision in my left eye for a few hours, she was like "go see an eye doctor". I ended up having complications during labor and needed an emergency c-section! CONT>>>
    naomianne2

Answer by naomianne2 at 4:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• CONT>>>I'd rather have a doctor listen to me, run all necessary tests, and then roll their eyes when I leave, than someone who doesn't even listen to anything I say. I am a smart person and I have access to the same texts that they do (well besides medical journals cause I'm not paying for those, but even then a lot are online anyway) and it's not like I go in saying I have some exotic illness. At least give my concerns some thought you know?
    naomianne2

• I think that they do have to give you a worst case scenerio to cover there butts. ...but hopefully they also give you the positive light. ...And i dont trust everything doctors say. I do do my own research and get second opioions. But i do recognize that it takes a lot of schooling. And i respect most doctors for going through that and trying to do what they have been trained to do.
    outstandingLove

Answer by outstandingLove at 4:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• "Doctors" cannot be lumped into one category. Like all people, there are intelligent and well-mannered ones as there are ignorant and careless ones.
    It is always up to the patient to make the decision to receive care from a certain physician. A patient always has the right to say no and request another physician at any time.
    If you go to a physician you end up not trusting or liking then go to another until you connect with one that suits you. If it is a specialist and there are only so many in your area that accept your insurance, then you may have to tough it out for the care to be received or be willing to travel farther away from home according to the insurance regulations.
    PrydferthMenyw

Answer by PrydferthMenyw at 4:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think that by law they must tell you everything so that they cover their butts.
    I think some are wonderful and actually give a darn about their patients. I think some are scum.
    I think you should find a dr you feel you can trust. Follow your gut, if you trust the dr then believe them. If you arent sure or hate the dr then get a second opinion or research up on whatever the subject is.

Bottom line for me is to trust them. If you dont feel you can or they have proven that you cant...get a new one asap.
    Ive had like 2 drs in my entire life that I actually liked and felt good around, the rest treated me like crap. Never again...
    BonesDragonDew

Answer by BonesDragonDew at 5:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I hate going to the doctor for anything, I have my questions written down and they all seems to rush me along or dismiss a lot of them.

Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 5:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I Always Do My Own Research Then, Go To The DR Then Do More Research

But Thats Just Me I Hate Doctors
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 8:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009