I want to hear stories of strength

Who here has been abused in everyway possible as children or been through soemething horrible that would have normally turned a person bitter but made you stronger....I have been through so much in my 24 years (sexual, verbal, physical abuse..and then watched my brother get hit by a truck all this by the age of 14) and I have overcome it all and am finally happy!! I want to hear your inspirational story to maybe give hope to others who read it and know they to can use what has happened to better themselves and never take things for granted.......God bless!

worriedmommy600

Asked by worriedmommy600 at 11:49 AM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• I was adopted as an infant, which in itself had some trauma associated with it. I married at 19 to a man who became physically and emotionally abusive. I divorced him, and naively went from man to man, looking for a provider for myself and my small son. I ended up meeting a man on the internet to claimed he loved me, moved into my home, married me, got me pregnant, and was arrested by the US Marshals 6 weeks later...oh, and he was already married to someone else...under a different name. I remarried, again, 2 years later, only to have hubby commit suicide by hanging. Finally, after much searching, I found a wonderful guy who loved me, and we got married and had another child. After the pregnancy, I went into depression, and nearly divorced him because I didn't understand that it was my SELF that I hated, and not him. I got help, went back to school, got a BA in Psychology (summa cum laude) and am now in law school. I love my life.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 12:10 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Well I dont know if my story is as bad as some of yours but here goes...I was born my mother and father who were married at the time. my mom and dad went out everynight (not together) I was left with my grandma most of my childhood. My grandma died when I was 6 and my parents had to take over. They fought all the time. Physical and horrible emotional abuse was a everday thing at my home. My parents finally divorced when I was 14 I met my boyfriend (now my husband) my mom left the house to me and him all the time, we raised my little sister for a few years(like seriously taking er to school, picking her up from school, buying her school clothes, took care of her day and night till I was 16 and my mom decided it might be fun to start doing crack!! Continued.....
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 1:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• SO she lost her job and when I caught her prostituting out of our house I decided it was time to leave.She lost the house and ended up living on the streets till 2 years ago when she got arrested and went to Rehab. I took my little sister to live with my dad(which wasnt that great but it works) And I moved in with my husband and his parents. About a month later I found out I was pregnant! I was 16 and scared to death, no mom or dad to turn to. Me and my husband got an apartment(as soon as he turned 18 and got a job) And we had our first son. We got married and had our first daughter, and in Jan 07 we had our second Girl. Now I'm very happy and I love my family :) My mom has been clean for 2 years now. While I was having babies and starting my life she was living on the streets, it was horrible to see her like that. I'm 22 now and I hope I never have to go through anymore trials in my life but I'm sure there are plenty more to come.
    MommyMel03

• I think that things like that only make us stronger as a person. I don't think anyone should be embarrassed by what they have been through because I love who I am and i wouldn't be who i am if it wasn't for what I had been through. My story is that I am the oldest of 4 kids, raised in an abusive home (mom kicking dad in balls, dad choking mom and throwing her down steps...daily life)my dad beat me and my brother w a gun rod and I couldn't change in gym class because of my welts. I was made to cook and clean and take care of my brothers as early as 10. Molested by my mom's brother when I was 7 and mom never did nothing about it. my parents luckily divorced when i was 14...for one year we were free from beatings (once got beat w hands tied behind my back)then, my brother gets run over by a truck on our way to school. I got to see it and I lost a year of my life.
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I went from all a's to f's. I went from church every sunday to not all. Starting drinking badly, didn't care if i hung out w the wrong people, or did the wrong things. My mom said my brother getting hit was my fault and that even a retard brother could better grades than me(my now handicapped brother got b's, i was now getting f's) and that i would never amount to anything and that i was stupid. I got pregnant in highschool, dropped out, married my son's abusive father, then...at 23 tried to kill myself. my eyes opened right at that moment. I had to get rid of all negative people who were gonna hurt me. so i got a divorce and got rid of bad friends and drugs and I have never been happier
    worriedmommy600

Answer by worriedmommy600 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I had a decent childhood, Poor (no phone or tv), but plenty of what counts.I married pregnant at 16 and had a premature son who was born with cerebral palsy. My husband began drinking and gambling and beating on me in my early 20's. I could no work a regular job because there was no daycare for disabled children back then. I felt I had to live in the abuse. It was dreadful. I had another son at 24. At 29, I had a horrible nervous breakdown. Believe it or not, after that I got stronger with Gods help. Continued
    evelyngayle

Answer by evelyngayle at 3:50 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• At 31, both of my parents died.I divorced after 25 years of living with this man that I was afraid of. There are a lot of stories within this about the struggles of caring for my son for 30 years. I also cared for my brother who died of scleraderma. The next thing came my alcoholism. I never drank anything until I was forty. Now I am free, sober and remarried.
    evelyngayle

Answer by evelyngayle at 3:56 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• wow these are touching.
    TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• dont make me cry please *takes a deep breath* exhales, i went through a few traumatic things as a child and young adult, but honestly, its the grace of God that has kept me here and alive, i could of been dead and God ladies trust me!! But God has a purpose for me and a reason for me being here and I am now finding that my life is bigger than all that i have been through i would like to be stronger than what i am but its a day by day process, i am still affected by the things that have happened to me, i find myself being really insecure and it hurts everyone, its up to me, i have the power and the control to turn it around, its just really hard :(
    camtri3

Answer by camtri3 at 11:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• This is about my husband. He was born with two different heart defects and had a 50/50 chance of survival. came through with flying colors only to be taken home to an abusive (mentally, physically and sexually) step father who worked him like a grown man on a farm. Threatened his life and the life of his mother and brother and sister if he told anyone of the abuse, my husband moved out at 18 married young to an older lady then divorced at the age of 27 (then he met me). After many years of paying his own way through college by working 40hrs a week and going to school full time he is now, finally, a Physician. we have a wonderful marriage, a wonderful son and he is a wonderful husband who has a horrible history and turned it into something good.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:35 AM on Jul. 20, 2008