Do you text and drive?

I was almost run over today by a lady in a van. She came right over on me and I had to slam on my breaks....If I had not been paying attention she would have slammed right into my side.
Then I watched her as she zoomed in and out until she slammed on her breaks to avoid hitting the back of a "Dart" bus...as she was stopped I looked at her and she was typing away....soooooo.....anyone wanna fess up? And maybe promise to not do it while driving?
As for me....I have never text anything. I dont even know how. Yes, I know I am in the dark ages. But sometimes thats ok for me ;)

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 4:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Health

• I text while I drive, but only if I am the only one in the vechile, I would NEVER do it with my DD in the car.
    Anonymous

• Hello, What about US that maybe DO have our children in the car with us? Selfish much?
    Anonymous

• It's no worse than messing with the radio, putting in a new cd, or looking at your hair, messing with you make up!
    Anonymous

• Agreed, sort of, I dont appreciate anyone not paying attention when driving around my kids. But texting seems to take more time and brain power than those other things you mentioned. To me none of those things are good, but texting is the worst of all of them, even if you are talking you are at least looking.
    Anonymous

• Yes I have. And we can make all the excuses we can think of, (I don't unless there is noone near by, and I hardly ever text), but the fact remains the same, that it is a distraction, But on texters behalf most of us can do it with our eyes closed, and what about other distractions? Do you turn around and talk to your kids in the back seat, or adjust the car stereo, smoke, read or any other of the numerous distractions that we all par take in from one time to the other? It only takes a second to cause an accident. Yes I do all of these except smoke and read, how about you?
    Nik317

Answer by Nik317 at 5:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• OP here...............the thing that got me is she never even noticed she almost ran me over. I honked my horn at her and she looked up at me like WTH. That pisses me off, like hello dont look at me all pissy when you almost ran me over..............And yes anything that distract a driver is bad.....
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I admit ... I text and drive ...
    ap9902

Answer by ap9902 at 5:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• not me...good gravy..I can't even dail and have to use the voice feature....We have a huge rule with our daughter who drives about it as well...
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 5:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have texted while driving. BUT - I do not look at the screen when I do it. (I know it's an excuse that I do it rarely...)

I am a member of the texting generation and can do it with my eyes closed. I know all the buttons on my phone and can complete the short text "I'm pulling up" "thank you" "call me ASAP" with only my right hand and no eyes.

I have never done this on the highway - I have never come close to causing an accident because of texting... trying to calm the baby in the back seat on the other hand has had it's moments of terror.
    Anonymous

• Nope!!! Absolutely not. Not while driving. The car is in park when I text. I know of two people that got killed in single vehicle roll overs....reason, they were texting while driving...at night :o( So sad. One was a single teenager, the other was a family guy. Not good.....
    babygoose78

Answer by babygoose78 at 5:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2009