15 Month Old Hitting??

The past few days my little guy has started hitting me. Mostly in the face, and not hard, but still I can tell he's trying to hit. He doesn't see any behavior like that and he DOES NOT get spanked. This morning he knocked my glasses off my face. Is this kind of a normal thing for kids that age?? He's only doing it to me, not daddy.

I thought maybe it was his way of getting my attention when I might be preoccupied with something else, but this morning I was snuggling him and he was cuddling me back and all the sudden he sits up and smacks me?? He'll also pull my hair and I can tell he's trying to pull it instead of just play with it. Any ideas?

Nika75

Asked by Nika75 at 4:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Welcome to the club...I have a 14 month old who does that. At first I was upset, but realized she thinks it 'sa game. She always laughed at my reaction. I soon learned not to react and let her know in a firm tone that, "you don't hit mommy". We talk to my daughter just like a normal person which has developed her understanding. She understands now that its wrong. You just have to let him know its wrong.
    sparker1018

Answer by sparker1018 at 6:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yup...Same here. My 15 month old hits me and sometimes daddy and his grandpa and Nana( He see's them everyday). So we tell him no firmly and if he does it again we put him down and he hates that. its just the stage. Now he is starting to hit himself and we tell him dont hit yourself. I think the reaction we give him he likes. I think we just need to ignore it and see if he stops? I sure hope so!!
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 6:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Me, too! My one-year-old slaps, pulls hair, and tries to take food and toys away from other kids.

He understands the word "no" and will stop when you tell him to, but I agree with sparker1018 that toddlers do this to get a reaction from us. I try to keep my reaction to a minimum and always redirect him to something positive (i.e., give him something that he can play with instead).

I have been told over and over this is a phase and he will outgrow it, so take heart that this, too, shall pass.

Good luck!

momofsam07

Answer by momofsam07 at 9:54 AM on Jan. 22, 2009