Is this rumor or fact?

Do you have to get a cathader when you go into labor or after an epidural?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• yes, for 24 hrs you have to have one in.......
    Anonymous

• After my epidural I did--you can't feel if you have to go and you can't hold it if you do have to go. It was not big deal. I could not feel it b/c they did it after my epidural started working.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 5:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• For my first baby, I had to get a catheter and an enema. That's how the doctor demanded of all his patients. For my second baby, no.
    imacafemom

Answer by imacafemom at 5:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• After the epidural b/c you cant feel when you need to go.....its not bad....you cant feel it.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• it is true but its not the cathader that your thinking about its like an iv cathader just the clear tubal thing and it goes in your spinal cord not your vaginal area
    Anonymous

• I had to have one in for 24 hrs from when my son was born, but i didnt have an epidural or any meds at all, but my son was 3 months early!
    Anonymous

• Its a fact. When I had my son They put in a cathader after my epideral. If not then you would wet yourself, because you cant tell if you need to use the bathroom. It doesn't hurt because your numb, and they take it out after you have your baby
    Anonymous

• Depends on the hospital. Technically, you don't have to have one after an epidural, but you would have to use the bedpan. Most make you get one though-but after they have given you the epidural, so you won't feel it--THANK GOODNESS!
    hw1977

Answer by hw1977 at 5:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I had no enema and received antibiotics b/c of possible risk of infection and I pooped all over the place 3 times......sounds embarrasing right?.....I couldnt have cared less at the moment! lol
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• fact.

i had a scheduled c-section.

my midwife set up the cathader before i went into surgery room.

why they do that?! well you wont be able to walk for at least 5-6 hours after the epidural. and then (if you have a c-section) you maybe wont be able to walk for a couple days. .. i couldnt get out of the bed for 4 days :(
    m.robertson811

Answer by m.robertson811 at 5:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2009