do you guys think there is any link between the mmr vaccine and autism?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:50 PM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• I believe that the MMR can be a trigger in those children who have a predisposition to autism spectrum disorder, but it is not the sole cause.
    faeriemamma

Answer by faeriemamma at 5:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• The jury is still out on this one...Parents of all of the children say yes...but our government and drug companies say no. Between the two who has something to lose? We need so much more research in this area. It is so unfair for families to have to make a decision for a vaccine that could cause autism or to not give it and run the risk of losing your child to measles, mumps or rubella. I wish that our government would pour the money that they are spending on pushing the vaccines into researching what is going on with them. It is disturbing
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 5:48 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• I am a mother of a child with autism and I believe strongly that there is some form a link to autism and vac. In the 1980's children from birth to 6 were only getting 10 vacs. Now children birth to 6 are getting 36 vacs. The vacs raise. In the 80's 1 10,000 were diagnosed and now its 1 150. There is your research.
    littlered79

Answer by littlered79 at 7:10 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• No. I have read study after study coming out of Europe proving that there is no link. I have also read study after study stating that autism is linked to chromosome 15 and 16 abnormalities. It just happens that the age range that symptoms become really obvious is 1-2 years and that is when this vaccine is given. I also do not believe we need to cure autism.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:59 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• "I am a mother of a child with autism and I believe strongly that there is some form a link to autism and vac. In the 1980's children from birth to 6 were only getting 10 vacs. Now children birth to 6 are getting 36 vacs. The vacs raise. In the 80's 1 10,000 were diagnosed and now its 1 150. There is your research."
    I SO AGREE!!!!!!!!!
    jenniferm

Answer by jenniferm at 8:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i think that there is. those studies are fixed to say whatever is profitable and vaccinations are very profitable.
    hiddenpoet

Answer by hiddenpoet at 1:25 AM on Jun. 20, 2008

• I am not fully convinced, but I do not disbelieve either.
    That being said, I do not vaccinate my children. I feel there is a lot more to worry about concerning vaccinations than just the Autism Theory.
    iamhis0

Answer by iamhis0 at 1:02 PM on Jun. 20, 2008

• To say that "the vaccines have been raised, and so has the number of autistic children" is the answer to this question, is not fair. Think about all the changes in our planet's environment since the 80's!! Research, unfortunately, does not include every change in our children's world since our childhood's world. The differences are unmeasurable! I too, at one time was scared to death of the MMR vaccine. I drilled my doctor like there was no tomorrow, and she simply said this "our distributor does not use preservatives in their vaccines. That is what is linking these vaccinations to Autism". And I believe she is right. I have cousins that are Autistic, so it is in my family...I gave my son the MMR at 15 months....he is fine. To say the vaccines alone are the reason for this problem, is ridiculous.

LolaMama

Answer by LolaMama at 12:26 PM on Jun. 21, 2008

• I believe that there might be some link. I don't necessarily believe that vaccines cause autism, but might trigger autism-like symptoms.

When I was growing up, we received very few vaccines, and I knew of only one boy who was autistic. Now, there are many many more vaccines recommended, and epidemic numbers of children being diagnosed with Autism, Asperger's, ADHD, PDD-NOS, and the list goes on.

MommytoNakoa

Answer by MommytoNakoa at 12:16 AM on Jun. 22, 2008

• I believe that there is a linnk between the two. My son was a perfect normal baby. He had a good vocabulary of about 12 words by his first birthday and a few weeks after his last vacination he started shutting down on us. He would not use the words that he used to and statred forming odd behaviors. He developed a lot of sensory problems, and we finally got a diagnoise bout a month ago. I think it's a lil odd that he was fine till his last vacniation.
    redtang912

Answer by redtang912 at 8:24 PM on Jun. 22, 2008