Oops. Allergic to soy?

I was thinking that my 5 month old had a milk allergy. It's a long story. But anyway today I gave my baby soy formula instead without checking with the dr. I know I was supposed to. Well, he got hives and like a rash from the soy. So I guess he's definitely allergic to soy. I tried calling the dr. to tell them but they are just saying to give him back his gentlease and not really answering my questions.
If he's allergic to soy, will he be allergic to other foods with soy once he starts eating? Is there anything I should do right now or just wait and see?
Everytime I try a new formula it works for a week and then he can't take it anymore. He is underweight and I just don't know what to do. I can't figure out what is bothering my baby in these formulas. Can anyone help me.

momofpurebliss

Asked by momofpurebliss at 5:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• It's possible. I'd get a second opinion if I were you. In the meantime, look into hypoallergenic formulas, or try to relactate and eliminate dairy from your diet.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• He is most likely allergic to soy. I would go back to his old formula. If the doc isn't helping then I would find a new one. I work in a pedi office and all day have to answer those kind of questions... thats what they are getting paid to do... Also since he had a bad reaction to the soy, give him a bath and put some lotion on him.... it will make the baby feel better. also i wouldnt try giving the baby anymore soy until at least 4 or 5 years old. babys have bad reactions to soy when they are young.
    Anonymous

• It is common for babies, even adults, with a milk allergy or intolerance to also be intolerant to soy. Why do you think there is a milk allergy?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 5:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• He continually spits up everything, with every feeding all day long. They did upper GI xray and said everything was normal. We tried nutrimagen, zantac, prevacid,..... With each thing we try at first he eats so much better and I think we solved the problem. But then after a week or so he struggles to take the bottle and he still always spits up. Well the past few days he was waking up with puffiness above his eyelids and they said that it could be from some kind of allergy. Then a friend of mine said her baby had the same things going on and turned out he was allergic to milk. So I figured I would give the soy a try. The nurse said we would have already known by now if he had a milk allergy but if it's not that then why isn't any formula agreeing with his stomach?
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 5:46 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• relactate??? Is that possible. He's 5 months and I never tried breastfeeding. I wish I would have.
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 6:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• otherwise, what do you do for a baby thats got a milk alllergy and a soy allergy?
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 6:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It sure is possible. You need a lot of determination, a GOOD pump, a strong will, and it would help if you could get your baby to latch on. If you want more information, let me know. I'm not going to push.

Otherwise, like I said, hypoallergenic formula.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• BTW I saw your other post, and no, it's not too late.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 6:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• We tried nutrimagen (hypoallerginic) and that didn't work either
    momofpurebliss

Answer by momofpurebliss at 6:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Hmmm... I don't know too much about formula, but I think there is another one besides the Nutrimagen. How long have you waited in between formulas?
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 7:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2009