Were early 20th century mothers more fertile?

I was just in a conversation about a great grandmother having 12 children during the early 20th century, and that this was very common of women of that era. Nowadays, there are many women having trouble conceiving (not that modern woman desire 12 children). I'm talking about availability of fertility. I have never been on birth control and only had one child at age 24. I'm 41 next month. Could the passage of time, possibly including the environment (what other reason), cause the change in fertility in women? Or, did as many women of the early 20th century have fertility troubles too, just that the women of fertility were more remembered?
After all, there is rumor about men declining in sperm count because of remnents of "the pill" hormone in our drinking water.
I'm getting older, but not that old to know. :-D

BlueSaphire

Asked by BlueSaphire at 5:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• I have read somewhere that the preservatives in our food nowadays affects our fertility. Not sure if this is true or not, but it could be a possibility along with several other things.

JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 5:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm sure a lot of things had to do with women having so many babies back then. There weren't as many forms of birth control, their food was more organic, and a lot of it probably had to do with, well...there simply wasn't much to do back then LOL.

There's always been people with fertility troubles, they were referred to as "barren" once upon a time.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009