What would you do if someone called your child a nig*er?!

So, I stopped at a different walmart than usually on the way home a few days ago to grab something for dinner. While we were in line a guy behind us started talking to his friends about my 1 year old son's jacket. (It lights up...lol!) Then out of no where he goes "check out my Ni*ger. My son is white as can be! lol. I'm not sure if I should be offended or what?! What would you do in that situation? Oh, and just in case you were wondering, the guy talking to him was a black teenager. This is not written to be offensive. I just really want to know what others would do.

Krystal.Ingalls

Asked by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Just for Fun

• As much as I'd like to say that I would've told him off...I probably would have just shot him a dirty look and gone about my day.

I'm a wuss.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 5:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would've let it go. It's doubtful you'll ever see him again. If it was someone we knew or a recurring thing, then I would say something. It's not worth arguing over. Although I hate the word, it will always be a part of someone's vocab
    Anonymous

• Wow. I don't know what I would do. That happened to my sister when we were kids (her skin tone is dark because of our Native American blood...she's the only one in the family that shows it). A neighbor said, infront of us to her kids, "I don't want you hanging out with that N*ger". My mom went ballistic on her when she found out.

As for me? I probably would've given them a dirty look and then ignored them. People like that are not worth my time.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 5:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think you are making a big deal out of nothing. It's a word that is offensive and ignorant if used by a white person to describe a black person. It's a word that some black people use everyday. I think if your son was balck and a white guy said it...offensive. The way in which it was used and by who used it...no big deal.
    happyathomemum

Answer by happyathomemum at 5:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• That is a strange thing to say. I just flat out dont like the word used ever for any reason.

I agree with caitxrawks...I am a wuss too, so I probably would have just looked at him weird and left quickly too.
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 5:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm in no way making a big deal out of it. =) I just was curious to see what other mom's would do in the same situation. I didn't say anything to him disrespectfully or anything. I just paid for my groceries and left.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm told that the "N" word is used often to dilute the offense by common use, with the exception of the "white" variety uttering the word. The "N" word comes from a type of tool. I really believe that one person would not ever want to be called a "tool" of mankind. So this word is offensive, not matter who speaks it. It should never be heard or spoken.
    BlueSaphire

Answer by BlueSaphire at 5:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Even tho I dont like the word in any form of meaning; I think the teen was meaning a compliment on how cool the jacket was. Sometimes ppl use that word said in a way that is meaning cool and accepting not matter what the other persons skin color is ( I hope that made sense)
    My DD has black friends and they say that to her all the time..... I would not be worried about it, you have a cool little kid mom
    midnightmoma

Answer by midnightmoma at 5:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• And I agree with mom2twobabes. I really don't like that word. If it's disrespectful to one race, shouldn't it be disrespectful for all? That's just my opinion.
    Krystal.Ingalls

Answer by Krystal.Ingalls at 5:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i think he was using it as slang...sad i know.....but these days to some peeps(not me
    )use it like saying "dude" or my "buddy"...stupid ghetto talk....i bet that is all it was....
    Anonymous