Why is switching formulas bad?

I'm trying to help my five month old take a formula that doesn't bother his stomach. I've been to the dr so much and called so much that I'm tired of getting permission to try a new formula. I want to know why do you have to check with your pedi. first before switching? I want to maybe try enfamil a.r.
Is it bad for his stomach if I switch them to much???? I don't see why?
How long do I have to wait to try another formula?.............

momofpurebliss

Asked by momofpurebliss at 6:08 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Each time you make a switch it takes at least one week for the switch to be complete. (get the old formula out of the system and get the new in)

You don't HAVE to check with your pediatrician...but it's a smarter idea so they can monitor what's going on with the baby and maybe catch something else that you could miss.

Anyway....at least one week on the new before the old is out...then you need to give it at least a couple of weeks to see if it makes a difference. (well, don't NEED, but should I was told)

Technically, within reason, you can feed the baby whatever you want. But you still need to keep your pediatrician informed of what you're doing.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my dr said you sould try for one week and if you dont like it change it
    marissad

Answer by marissad at 7:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2009