How much should my 3mo old twins be eating??

Right now they both eat 5oz every 4 hours with a little bit of rice cereal mixed in (about 1 tsp or so). My bigger twin, Aubree, seems to still want to eat every 3 - 3 1/2 hours, and the past 2 days its been hard to push her to 4 hours. Any recommendations? Is it OK to give her 6oz?

KeikoRose

Asked by KeikoRose at 6:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• First of all, I think they are toooo young for rice cereal. Very hard on their tummys. If you are breastfeeding you can't overfeed them.. However, if you are using formula be careful because you can. If you are also givn gthem rice, that is unnecessary carbs and calories that they don't need.
    calliesmommie

Answer by calliesmommie at 6:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I gave my baby cereal.. its actually fine... the new day in age docs say no but back when i was born and even my brothers it was very common for a doctor to tell you to give cereal to a baby. but you need to make sure that it isnt alot. only enough to float around in the formula. It helps to hold them longer. Keep in mind that babies find comfort in sucking so even though they are full they will keep going. It may just be a comfort issue. I give my Daughter gerber oatmeal cereal just a sprinkle and it cut her feedings in half and she stayed full longer.
    AmirahzMommy08

Answer by AmirahzMommy08 at 6:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Unless the doctor has recommended the cereal in the bottle I'd stop that...it fills them at the time but they get hungrier in the long run because while it does take longer to digest, it provides fewer calories than their formula.

You canNOT over feed on formula. You can't force feed them with formula any more than you can force feed them with the breast.

Feed on demand. If they want more, give them more. There is no amount the "should" be taking other than taking what they want.

While my kids are boys and stereotypically have bigger appetites....they were taking 8oz every 2 hours at 6 weeks of age.....
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 6:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Im not really asking about the rice cereal.. I've been adding a little bit for a while now, and they're fine. In fact, since then they've been going 8 hours at night. I'm just asking about the amount they should be eating. I cant feed them on demand, they need to be on a schedule - its too much with twins. My doc said i was over-feeding them when they were younger, so i cut back, and now i think i need to up the one's formula, but i dont want to give her more than she can take.

Thank you for your opinions =)
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 6:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Just know she won't take more than she can. If they're hungry, they should be fed...still hungry at the end of a bottle, give another ounce or two.

I do have to admit shock that your doctor said they were being over fed...if they weren't puking it back up, they weren't getting too much in their stomachs.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 7:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My baby is breastfed (bottlefed with breast milk when I'm at work). He is 4.5 months old and he has eaten the same amount since 2 months. He takes 5 oz every 3 hours like clockwork. I do feed him on demand when I'm with him.

If I were you I would keep the amount the same and feed her every 3 hours instead. I think you might have better results and an happier baby.
    eastonbennett

Answer by eastonbennett at 8:51 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• when they were like 4 weeks old, aubree would act hungry so i upped her to 5oz (she was at 4), and she spit up a lot - thats why he said i was over feeding her. I was just going with how she was acting. But she got a lot better when i brought her back down to four and started figuring things out =) First babies - so nice to get blessed with two the first time, lol. They're pretty good on a schedule, so i cant complain too much - i just want to make sure i'm not making her go hungry.
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 9:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009