Anyone else's child have this?

My son was born with a little piece of skin that sticks out over by his ear. His ped said it was harmless and I'd have to pay a plastic surgeon to have it removed. I was wondering if anyone else's child was born like this, did you have it removed?

prettyrayray

Asked by prettyrayray at 6:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't know what I would do. My son and daughter don't have anything like that. So I don't know what it really looks like. Is it really noticable? Do you think he'll have trouble with it later (like kids teasing him)? It all depends.
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 6:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My middle son had that, they told it was no biggie and they would tie it off for me. They tied it and it died off before we left the hospital. Maybe your child's was bigger?
    kirstanbrown

Answer by kirstanbrown at 6:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• A nurse said she would tie it, but she wasn't allowed to, it's not in her scope of practice. My OB saw it, and he said he would just get it with the scalpel, except my son isn't his patient! It's not that big, but I notice it and I'm afraid the kids will tease him over it. He's such a cute little guy though! I would get it removed but I don't know how much it would cost.
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 6:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Our DD had a skin "thingy" on her ear as well - turned out to be a wart - yuck. We had it removed by a dermo - easy-peasy.
    Wimsey

Answer by Wimsey at 6:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I, personally, wouldn't worry about it. My son was born with half of his right arm. Do what you have to do to feel right about it, though...
    Anonymous

• I bet a dermatologist could do it and it would be covered by insurance. My husband had a really ugly mole removed from his scalp and our insurance paid for the derm to do it and it was not cancerous.
    Anonymous

• is it on the top of his ear like a point ( kinda looks like an elf ear) if so my daughter has it her dr said that she could grow out of it but she is 2 and its still there we thinks its cute we say shes one of santas elfs lol it is what make her , her when she gets older she might not ,like it but we would never have it removed when she got older if she just hated it so much then we prob. would
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 12:24 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yep I totally do! It's called a skin tag, and it is harmless. We have not yet chosen to have it removed b/c the thought of putting my 3 year old under anesthesia for something harmless scares me to death. We'll have it taken off, but probably not real soon. Sometimes they can just tie them off at birth, but if he has one like my dd has one, it has cartlidge in it. It is just a cosmetic thing right now. I'm considering talking to them tho about my dd's. It seems like that ear canal is harder to get access to, so it's a little difficult to clean that ear out. I'm wondering if that would be enough medical reason to have insurance pay to have it taken off!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:42 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I forgot to add, my dd's is not on the top of her ear, hers is where the flap of skin that covers the ear canal is, it's on the outside of that. It used to drive me crazy, and her grandmother used to constantly comment on it and I wanted to shoot her saying she was beautiful even tho she had that it's just her, but she made sure to point out the imperfection and then make an excuse for it b/c she wasn't perfect......sigh
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yeah, that's where my son's is too, on that triangle part of the ear...idk why they would put them under to remove it though, couldn't they just put something to numb it and do it real quick?
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 12:30 PM on Jan. 22, 2009