What Age Did You Let Your Child Watch Television?

Ideally you are not supposed to let your kid watch tv till after they are 2 years.
(My husband and I have read up on this.)
It's a proven fact it shortens attention spans.
And if you do let your kids watch tv, do you give them a set amount?
Or can they only watch certain programs?

kookiekayla

Asked by kookiekayla at 12:38 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Entertainment

• I let my kids watch tv when they were babies even! I didnt even know about the short attention span thing!! But I only allow kiddie cartoons. Mostly noggin and pbs sprout, I find that Nickalodian and Cartoon network have some shows I dont like them watching. I dont have to regulate my kids on how much they watch they are hardley ever wanting to watch tv. Maybe a half hour to a hour a day. It is usually spread out throughout the day tho. They dont usually sit through a whole show without getting bored. But I let them watch as much as they want. Maybe if they started watching for 3 or more hours a day I would put a stop to it. But I have no problem.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 12:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My kids have been watching TV since they were born. They really have no limits. They watch whatever whenever. The only time I limit them is if they haven't moved off the couch in a couple hours (usually my oldest). In the winter there isn't much else to do. In the summer they spend more time in the pool then anything else. They love to watch TV and so do I.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 1:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I let my oldest son start watching tv around 1 and my youngest was a bit younger. I only would let them watch shows on pbs that had to do with learning, like Sesame St or Between the Lions. My youngest liked to watch Animal Planet and at a young age would sit and watch Crocodile Hunter for the whole show. They both do fine in school and I have never once had a teacher or anyone tell me they have short attention spans, but I dint let them watch tv all day either. Now that they are older they can watch tv more, but of course I dont let them watch anything they want.
    StaceeyL

Answer by StaceeyL at 4:28 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I do not believe the short attention span thing because I allowed my cildren to watch tv and they are fine and were all great students in school. THey really took it upon themselves to find other things to do and I never had to limit the tv time they always had thier imaginations going and going so really never sat and watched tv.They were outdoor type kids and no matter how hot or cold they wanted to play outside.As they got older they really weren't into video games either. My oldest is very artistic and enjoys drawing and creating characters and drawing real life images. My middle son is into music and he plays the guitar and drums and has his own band.My youngest one likes to create things with wood and has one heck of a sense of humor..also an artistic young man. There is no attention span problem with any of my kids.
    kwazylisa

Answer by kwazylisa at 6:26 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I have read up on this and try to limit TV for my kids because of it, and esp fast paced shows. I think there must be some truth to this: if all you ever do is feed your children entertainment, then when they are a teen and young adult, a simple sunrise won't do it for them and they just may very well go out and get involved in something they shouldn't.

I don't mean to offend anyone- I know this is a touchy subject.

TXdanielly

Answer by TXdanielly at 8:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2008