Just a quick question about taxes?

My SO played (well still plays softball) any way he payed for almost all tournament fees out of our own pocket. Can you claim them on your income taxes?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 6:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Money & Work

• Was it worked or education related? If he can say it was for work or something he can deduct it. Otherwise for fun no I dont think so.

Answer by gemgem at 6:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If he sponsored the team, yes, that a donation anytime you give money to a sports you can deduct it as chairtable donation.
    Anonymous

• If the team is a charitable organization (not-for-profit, 503C(c)), then it could be a donation. Not all are, so I'd be careful about taking the PP advice.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 8:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If this is his hobby the expenses can only be deducted up to the amount that he made as income.
    lifeasinoit

Answer by lifeasinoit at 8:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm leaning towards no, but would need more information. Deductions are typically related to donations, taxes paid, medical fees, mortgage interest type things. If you donate to support a softball league then that might be, but paying so you can take your own team to a tornament? It doesn't pass the "smell" test.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2009