How can i help my 20mo old like Baths?

My 20mo old son hates baths, everytime I try to give him a bath he screams and crys and constantly trys to climb out. I dont know why he hates them he has never had anything bad happen while he was taking a bath and he used to like them, he suddenly started hating them about 6mo ago! I try to make bathtime fun and not stressful, i always make sure the water isnt too hot or too cold but no matter what i do everyday he hates taking them. I was wondering if any other moms have or had this problem and if I can get any advice on what can help!

Ariesmama4life

Asked by Ariesmama4life at 6:57 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• my DS hated them too for the longest time....esp when it was time to wash his hair other than he did fine...is it the whole bath time or just when washign hair like my DS i always left hair washing right before he got out my DD doesnt like them either and i do the same thing i leave hair washing for last she doesnt like the water in her face...

you could also try taking one with him,,,like get some shorts on or a bathing suit and get in with him and see if that makes it any more comfortable for him...i have had to do that with my DS when he was about 8 months old.
    MommyOf2kids67

Answer by MommyOf2kids67 at 7:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• put your swimsuit on, get some bath toys, get him some little swimming trunks and tell him you're going to a pool party. Get into the tub with him and let him play or even hold him in the tub if you have to. Keep reassuring him its ok and that there is nothing to be afraid of
    SmileyMoo

Answer by SmileyMoo at 7:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my oldest went through the same thing when he was about 18 months and i figured if he doesnt want to take baths then maybe hell take a shower with me, thats how I figured out that he likes the water hotter than they recommend for kids. the next bath i gave him i up'd the temp and he was loving baths- also my kids love bath paints- they have a blast painting themselves and the walls then rinsing it all off- all the while getting clean and having fun doing it
    lovelyli217

Answer by lovelyli217 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son hated baths until I got him a ton of bath toys that he only got when he is in the bath. You could also try doing baths every other day? He may enjoy the break.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 10:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Wonder if something happened at 6 months in the bath that made him afraid of them now? At any rate, try taking a bath with him, as that helped in my case. Also, I had the same situation, but in my case, it was the rinsing of the hair that got my daughter spooked and since I realized that was the problem, I bought one of those bathing hats that allows you to rinse, but the water doesn't go in their face. That did the trick and I never had any other problems.
    partyofsix426

Answer by partyofsix426 at 1:10 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Let him take a shower. lol
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:39 AM on Jan. 22, 2009