Worst company in America? PayPal vs. Capital One

At the end of this bout, one of these competitors will have paid the price in blood. And lord help them if they try to dispute that payment with either company's customer service departments.

Capital One continues to have a reputation for making mistakes on customers' accounts that are both obvious and, at least according to Capital One CSRs, irreparable.

They also haven't given up on their practice of flooding consumers' mailboxes with credit card applications. This is especially true for people with less than stellar credit who probably could do without another card — and 5-year-olds.

But what really locked Capital One into its WCIA slot for this tournament is the recent purchase of online bank ING Direct. In addition to ING customers who are terrified of what is going to happen to their favorite bank, several readers expressed concern about Capital One's rapid growth — and the government's rather rapid approval of the merger — at a time when the economy is still reeling from the failure of a handful of mega-banks.

And then there's good ol' PayPal. If you want to sell things online, it's all but a given that you'll need to deal PayPal, especially considering its incestuous relationship with parent company eBay.

Yet for all the people who use PayPal for selling and buying, the company seems to have about three customer service reps, none of whom can help but all of whom apparently have the ability to summarily freeze a transaction— or an entire account. Heck, they can even tell customers to go ahead and destroy a purchase simply because the buyer claims the item isn't authentic.

Luckily, getting resolution on PayPal complaint only requires numerous calls, e-mails and mass, concerted shaming from the entire Internet.

http://consumerist.com/2012/03/worst-company-in-america-round-one-paypal-vs-capital-one.html

tasches

Asked by tasches at 2:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2012 in Money & Work

• I no longer have a capitol one card & I've never trusted pay pal. I refuse to use it.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 2:42 PM on Mar. 15, 2012

• They're all shady. We've had some bumps with PayPal but are always able to work it out. Including when they caused me $150 in overdraft fees to my attached bank account when they took money that was supposed to be pended into PayPal. Never had Capital One. Most financial institutions suck for the consumer. I don't mess around with Customer Service most of the time. If they are not helpful, I just ask for a supervisor.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 4:34 PM on Mar. 15, 2012

• I've never had a Capitoll One card either but I've used PayPal hundreds of times without any issues.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 3:29 PM on Mar. 15, 2012

• I use PayPal regularly, and I have two credit cards that I put minimal charges on them and pay them off monthly on purpose to build a strong credit score. I've never had a problem with either of these companies, even though I know financial companies don't always have the customer's best interest in mind. (I still really like PayPal, though.)
    xxbyamomentx

Answer by xxbyamomentx at 4:49 PM on Mar. 15, 2012

• I've never really used Paypal, maybe once or twice awhile back (5+years). But I've had a Cap One card for almost 10years and haven't had problems with them, but then again I haven't had to call their customer service more then 5 times total in that 10yrs...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Mar. 16, 2012