What are signs that my son is ready to potty train?

My son is only 15 months but he pee's up a storm. After lunch his diaper it full. He poops at least 3 times a day. I think its too earlybut not sure?

JacobsMommy05

Asked by JacobsMommy05 at 7:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• It's a bit early for him to be trained but not too early to introduce the potty to him.

Times to start training:

When he can tell you he has to go or that he needs to be changed
    When he starts taking his pants and diaper off before or after he goes
    When he starts to hold it in
    When he wakes up with a dry diaper (even if it doesn't stay dry for long)
    amethystrse

Answer by amethystrse at 7:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• He knows the words for pee and poop (whatever you want to use)
    He can go several hours with a dry diaper during the day. Night time dryness is not a sign - many kids wet at night for years after they are trained.
    He is fascinated when you go to the bathroom.
    He is willing to sit on his potty with a bare bottom for a few minutes.
    Telling you he has to go is useful but many trained kids won't tell you for months after they are first trained.
    Telling you he wants a clean diaper is helpful since it gives you a "talking point" about how he won't have a that yucky feeling once he uses the potty but is not necessary. Newborn babies can let you know they want to be changed.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 8:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have put him on the potty and he is fine with it. He doesnt know pee and poop so he doesnt tell me. When I take off his diaper for a few mins to air him out when he pees he stops and looks down then he pees. So are any of these close?
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 10:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009