What are the risks of dental work during the first trimester?

Crown?

emturner

Asked by emturner at 7:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• None that I know of. I had 4 fillings in my first trimester and the dentist and my dr said it was fine. The probem comes if they need to do Xrays or use medication that isnt suitable for the baby like for oral surgery etc. Normal pain shots to numb your mouth arent dangerous.

Answer by gemgem at 7:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• The risk isn't in the work, it's in the anesthesia.

Check around. My dentist doesn't use drills or anesthesia ----- he uses new technology. No pain, no pain-killers, no soreness afterwards.

I took my sons in for fillings --- my 5 yr old needed 8! He watched a movie during the procedure & we went straight to lunch afterwards.

If you can find a dentist like that --- I can' think of any risks.
    Laura1229

Answer by Laura1229 at 7:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i would try to wait until ur second trimester or just ask ur dr or the dentist should know as well. i broke a tooth while pregnant about 30 weeks or so and my dentist yelled at me for basically not knowing myself that my tooth was going to break because they had to get a special kind of number that wouldnt make me go into labour. i guess the main kind of number dentists use can cause pple to go into labour.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 7:52 PM on Jan. 21, 2009