Once saved, always saved?

I've made it no secret that I left the Christian faith, but that I live my life by christian moral principles. However, my mom frequently tells me that she knows she'll see me in Heaven because I accepted Jesus as a little girl, even though I no longer believe. She believes in "once saved, always saved." what are your views on this doctrine?

If you don't believe this, at what point do you lose your salvation? Is it when you denounce God (which I haven't) or when you stop believing that Jesus was divine? (which I have)

lawmom623

Asked by lawmom623 at 12:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I don't think that there's an answer to that. That's a God question and something only God can determine.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 1:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I think that heaven isnt easy to get into. So i think it takes constant rememberence of god. IF u remember god, god will remember you. Shyton ( devil ) is constantly whispering in the ears of everyone ( especially belivers) That is what i believe I cant imagine believing once saved always saved that sounds to easy to me. In the end only god knows
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 1:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• That is a debate among many. But here is what I have found from my personal studies of the Bible. God says that there is only one sin that can separate you from himself and that is denouncing Him. But on the other hand it also clearly says in scripture that belief in Jesus is the only way to get to Heaven.
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 1:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• When you say you no longer believe, what is it that you no longer believe? Do you no longer believe that God exists or that Jesus is your Saviour? God says there is only one thing He won't forgive once you've been saved, and that is denying He exists. But if you were saved as a little girl and you still believe in God and Jesus, you will go to heaven. At this point you will still have your day of judgement, just like everyone will, but you will be judged by your good deeds, instead of your sins.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I don't believe in the "once saved always saved" doctrine. You can lose your salvation. Like you said, when you deliberately, consciously turn your back on God. But since Christ is God (in the Trinitarian concept), denying His Divinity would pretty much be the same thing. God really isn't God, because God really isn't Divine.

But honestly, no one really knows the answer to this question. Only God Himself can answer it, sweetie!!
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 3:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I TOTALLY AGREE WITH FEESHAROSE
    anh2231

Answer by anh2231 at 3:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I don't believe in "once saved, always saved". I think that if you've fallen off the "right" path, whichever path that may be, then you need to be saved again and ask for forgiveness. I don't mean everytime you sin...I mean everytime you walk away and forget about God and Jesus and stop trying to life your life according to God's will.
    ReneeK3

Answer by ReneeK3 at 4:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Interesting question. There are 2 camps on this one. Most of the churches I've gone to believed in eternal salvation, but a few others did not. Like your Mom, my Dad believes in the former, which is actually good because it gives them comfort and they have a hope we won't end up in hell after all. I'd rather he think that.
    Jazzmim

Answer by Jazzmim at 4:20 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Jazzmim: me too. I believe that heaven is internal - we create heaven or hell for ourselves during our earthly life. I'm glad, though, that this doctrine comforts my mother.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 4:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I think you can lose your salvation but that is just me. I think only God's love and understnading can really answer this one.
    gamo

Answer by gamo at 5:23 PM on Jul. 19, 2008