How can I keep my 18 month old in his own bed? Hes always climbing out and wandering around the house- so i end up having to put him to sleep in my bed then transferring him back to his bed. now hes used to that and wont go to sleep with out me putting him into my bed- any ideas?

lovelyli217

Asked by lovelyli217 at 7:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Wish I knew, I'm going through the same problems with my 21 month old....it's crazy! Just wanted you to know you are not alone!
    Central_IL_Mom

Answer by Central_IL_Mom at 1:38 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• maybe buying a blocker that blocks the doorway so he stays in his room,and he will end us falling asleep?

I saw on super nanny that she made a mom sit in the same room with her son but face her back, and whenever he got out of bed she got up and put him back and turn around. And she stayed till he fell asleep. and did it till he stayed in bed.

Adja70

Answer by Adja70 at 7:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my youngest daughter ( 16 months)is a climber and did the same thing! we ended up moving her mattress down as far as it would go, and then because she was using the window sill as a prop to climb out had to move her bed away from the window. we have had to move her crib a couple of times and yes like the above poster said I have had to close the door. she didn't get out of bed when I did that and eventually learned she had to stay there. how quick they get used to sleeping with us parents!
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 7:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• enjoy it while you can. They quickly grow out of it!
    chefjen

Answer by chefjen at 7:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• we had to put bells on things when we moved there were stairs near his bedroom but he would sleep walk so we would bell alot of the doors then we could catch him I would probaly get a gate to to keep the child safe
    goatmom4

Answer by goatmom4 at 8:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i put a tv in my daughters room and that helped her LOVE her room and eventually she didnt dread going in there by herself, and she ended up loving her room that she sleeps in there and plays in there too. she loves barney, and that helped her STAY in her room and watch on her bed. people say tvs are bad, but i dont think so if shes learning from the disney channel and what not. she learned how to say cheese when you take a picture from barney, shes 16 months old and she learned how to count to 3 from mickey mouse club house, etc... good luck.
    kiliki_malie

Answer by kiliki_malie at 9:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• At bed time say "ok, time to brush teeth, get in bed, read a story and go to sleep". Do those things and then you have several options:
    1. leave the room and keep putting him back in bed if he gets out. The first time you can say "sweetie, it's time for bed" after that, don't speak to him, just put him back in bed.
    2. Sit in a chair next to his bed until he falls asleep. Each night move the chair farther from the bed and closer to the door until he no longer needs you to stay with him to fall asleep.

You may wish to try having him fall asleep to white noise. We've used the sound of ocean waves for our twins since they were a few weeks old. Works like a charm.
    Finally, put a gate in his doorway so he can't wander the house at night.
    twinclubmom

Answer by twinclubmom at 9:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009