Is it possible to mis diagnose a miscarriage?

The day before yesterday I was diagnosed with a miscarriage. I had a faint pregnancy test about a week before and I was almost 4 weeks pregnant. So its early on. I went to go relax in the tub and (without bleeding or cramping) passed a clear something with a dark center making me think its the baby. So I went into the E.R. and they did a pregnancy test . The urine came up negative and the blood work positive. And thats it. They determined it miscarriage, still no bleeding. I feel no different then when I was prego. Is it possible that they mis diagnosed me? Or is it just hopeful thinking? After miscarriage should I feel different? The er was packed and they were not giving any situation their full attention.

blondisfun

Asked by blondisfun at 7:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• it takes a little bit for the HCG levels to go down, making it still show up on a pregnancy test (blood or urine)
    Anonymous

• Yea its possible. I was told I miscarried my dd when I was 17 and went on about my life. Then I started getting a belly and honestly thought omg something is wrong with me. I went to the dr and oops they were wrong. I DID bleed and ALOT. They said they couldnt explain it other then to say maybe I was having twins and lost one. My dd is almost 20 so, she definitely wasnt miscarried. I would wait a few days and maybe test again. If its still negative then you did miscarry.

Answer by gemgem at 7:27 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• What you passed sounds like what I passed with my first miscarriage, but I had severe cramping and some bleeding. You need to make an appt with your OB and have them do an ultrasound. They can see if there is anything left in your uterus and that would give you a definite answer. ER's are so stupid when it comes to this stuff. It would make sense though for the urine test to be negative and the blood to be positive right after a miscarriage.
    Anonymous

• not usually if they did a blood test your hcg was probably dropping meaning a miscarriage im sorry if that is what happened what you said you passed sounds like my 3 miscarriages i had
    Mrs.Owen86

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• If they took your HcG levels and they were dropping then yes, you are having a mc. Most of the time you "lose" your feelings of being pregnant a couple weeks after your fetus has already passed away, before your body expells the baby you lose the symptoms... Thats what happened to me. I lost my baby at 8 weeks along (thats what my uterus measured) When my body finally discarded the baby I was 12 weeks along. It's a very emotional thing to go through, and I am very sorry to hear that you had a mc. Normally when you have a very faint line on a pregnancy test it is signaling a "bad pregnancy" thats what my doctor told me anyhow.... I'm truly sorry for your loss... Best of luck to you
    Anonymous

• the er dr.s tried to tell my mom she was mis carrying with my sister and tried to force her to get a d&c done and even tried telling my dad to make my mom do the procedure. my mom said hell no that she was going to wait to see her regular dr.. my sister is now 23 years old.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 11:21 PM on Jan. 21, 2009