I am looking to get a young small breed dog

My dog is very lonely but is NOT good with my son. He's a golden retriever and lab mix. We keep him down stairs ever since he snapped at my son. So we are looking to get another dog, a small or medium size breed hopefully a mix. My son is 15 months old, what do you reccomend?

SassyMommyBllck

Asked by SassyMommyBllck at 7:32 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pets

• We have a yorkie and a golden retriever and they are best buddies. Have you tried your local shelter? They usually have dogs that have been altered and are current on their shots. Plus you could take your dog there and see how they get along.
    the3jsandme

Answer by the3jsandme at 7:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I love cocker spaniels. they love to play and interact. mine have always been good with my children, however be warned they are quite the handful when it comes to potty training, but my puppy now is responding well to crate training. also, all of my cocker spaniels have been great companions for me and my other dog. good luck to u on whatever you decide!!
    maemaesmom

Answer by maemaesmom at 7:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• a Japanese chin/ they r really good with kids and babies... u can see a pic of mine on my page.....
    Pooky_mommy

Answer by Pooky_mommy at 7:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• we have a 9 month old doxie. he's pretty good with the kids but my kids are 16 & 17 yrs old. when they were younger we had greyhounds.
    justjacki

Answer by justjacki at 8:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• A poodle. No shedding and they love little kids.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i was raised w a sheltie from the time i was 9 months old. he would pull me by my diaper if anyone he didnt know came into our yard. i can't wait to get another sheltie again.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:23 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• A sheltie!!!!!! Has taken tons of abuse from my 4 year old (lol) and they are the best of friends. I grew up with one. They are the best dogs.
    Autumn22

Answer by Autumn22 at 9:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• yes! i would poke the shit out of my dog! i had him till We were 16 years old and he had to be put down..they'e between a small and a medium. some people call them mini collies.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 10:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have a almost 6 yr old chihuahua/jack russel mix and she adores my 2 year old grandson. Regarding the snapping the dog needs to knows it's place and that he or she is not pack leader and does not have that athority. To many times dog onwers opt to seperate rather deal with the behavorial isue the dog. Please do not be offended but you need to bring the dog back among the family otherwise you are creating a volitile situation with that dog. He needs to know his place and that behaviour simply will not be tolerated period. Mine tried that all of her 12 lbs and she found her place real quick. Firm but loving correction. Hey mine got time outs. They are the best of friends now.
    genav

Answer by genav at 11:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have a Shih Tzu, and he is a great dog. I got him when he was 8 weeks old. He is very smart, and was EASY to train. They are great with kids.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:01 AM on Jan. 22, 2009