How many of you wish you hadn't gotten an epidural?

Asked by bluelady27 at 7:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• Let me first say that I can take pain. A LOT of pain. I have been in several car accidents, I have had several broken bones, and I have severe rheumatoid arthritis. Pain and needles do not scare me at all. But I quickly changed my mind once they cranked up the pitocin and who knows whatever drug they gave me when my water broke at 6am and I still did not have a contraction at 10 am. After 20 hours of pitocin-induced labor, I never dilated beyond three. There is a lot that I regret about my delivery, but I cherish the epidural. I didn't care if I had to have the injection in my eyeball. It would still be worth it.

Answer by sillymoo at 9:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

Answer by aliciatron at 7:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I had 3 epidurals none of them worked so I ended up having a natural birth and felt every single bit of it even the 3rd degree rips!!! OUCH but it was all so worth it

Answer by Keirasmommy22 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• me 5 years later adn my back still hurts they missed 3 times ugh my husband cant even rub the spot they did it cause it hurts so bad i am NOT doing it this time lol

Answer by Mrs.Owen86 at 7:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm grateful for both of mine, they worked with no complications!

Answer by prettyrayray at 7:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• First off, I like your other questions and will have to visit those too :)

Um I have no regrets with my first one. But I could feel enough to know when to push and felt a lot of pressure- which I was thankful for. Birth isn't supposed to be pain free... Labor is the hard work you do to get that angel into the world, kwim? There are many risks associated with epidurals and although I understood them, it was worth the risk to me at the time.  I have a lot of friends who have regrets on theirs. I will say that I am doing an anesthesia consult this time around. I had horrible headaches with my second and would consider going without it at all if it means I could avoid those again. Even prescription strength migraine meds didn't touch it.

Answer by CooksWife at 7:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I don't really know,. I was induced and my doc said it would hurt more than natural. It still was horrible painful and I had back pain for 3mos afterward. I started Bikram yoga and it went away. I do think the epidural was responsible for the lingering pain.

Answer by Farrahann at 7:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am soo glad i had mine, i had a 3rd degree tear and i don't ever wanna know what that really felt like. Keirasmommy I applaud you for going through that, you poor thing!! oh and hey i'm Keira's mommy too!

Answer by smnice at 7:47 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I can't say that it didn't do good because labor was a breeze for me with it and the doctor did a wonderful job with the epidural and delivering my son. I have no pain from it at all. But the thing is I had every intention of doing a natural birth but I was induced and the contractions are horrible from the pitocin they give you. My son also turned out very healthy with no side effects. He was a really good newborn. So, I guess I don't really regret it because everything worked out really good.

• Nope! I loved being able to feel everything. I will never get an epidural unless I need a c/s.. otherwise drugs are out of the question! :) This next baby will be home and will be amazing!

Answer by celticreverie at 7:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009