Why do we assume?

Why is it that when someone identifies one way politically we automatically assume they are in sync with every other person who identifies the same way?

For example. I'm Liberal and voted for Obama so some might assume I think he's the messiah or can do no wrong or is going to make everything rainbows and unicorns but that is far from the truth. Obama wasn't my first or even third choice of all the Dem candidates and if McCain were the man I thought he was in 2000 OR if Ron Paul had been the Rep nominee I might have voted differently.

I do believe the MSM helped Obama to win but more because it was history and would sell more papers than another old white dude.

Some on my side of the aisle might assume that McCain supporters are war mongering, fundies who are nore interested in money than people but for most that is probably not true.

Why must so many assume that others automatically have drunk the kool aid?

Friday

Asked by Friday at 7:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Politics & Current Events

• you know the old saying about assumptions ;)

I know what you mean. I find it terribly sad that the first feeling I get from people around here is simply those who want to see our new President fail, so they'll be able to point and say "I told you so".... yeah, that would really do us good.
    If that is their sole, petty purpose, they'll never reach that day....Bush tops the failing list. And Obama is going to have alot of cleaning up to do. He'll take the blame. That's the way it usually works....he hasn't even begun and look at the attitude our own fellow Americans are giving. Not really a good representation of ourselves to other countries, is it? embaressing, if you ask me.
    It's not a constructive, healthy or a patriotic contribution. People like that need to learn to set aside their differences and find a way to support, or get out of the way, because this world has alot ALOT of work to do.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 8:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• because everyone hre is A holes and they think if you do one think you should think like this they dotn stop to think that people have different reasons for different things
    Anonymous

• I'm with you. If Ron Paul was on the ticket he would have DEFINITELY received my vote. I wanted change and voted Obama. I thought we needed to get away from Bush and Bush-like thinking. That's all.
    njmommy2boys

Answer by njmommy2boys at 7:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have no clue but I know I am sick of the assumptions, generalizations, and stereotyping around here. I get the "oh, your one of those libs" because I support Obama. People don't ask farther than that to find out that my true beliefs tend to run more conservative than liberal. But I vote based on who I believe is better suited to run the country and the issues of importance to me. Doesn't mean I agree with all of Obama's platforms, just means he was more in line on my issues than McCain. (Oh, and I'm with you Friday, Obama was not my 1st or 2nd or 3rd choice either... Ron Paul was looking really good at one point!).
    momof3inTN

Answer by momof3inTN at 7:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I see a lot of assumptions coming from both sides of the aisle.

Anonymous

• No kidding, anon. I mentioned that.

Friday

Answer by Friday at 8:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• "the first feeling I get from people around here is simply those who want to see our new President fail, so they'll be able to point and say "I told you so".... yeah, that would really do us good."

Assume much?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 9:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• enough with the finger pointing. get used to some much needed change. kthnxbie.
    iheartsquishies

Answer by iheartsquishies at 9:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Have you bothered to ask any of the people who aren't on their knees before Obama why, or do you just lump them all in with the haters?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 10:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Because the people who do fit into those categories can't understand the idea of free thinking individuals. They can't see the gray areas. They also can't see that just because you voted for someone doesn't mean that they were your all time favorite candidate. They forget the field narrows over time, so as people drop out, you may have to adjust your support accordingly.

Some are simply drama whores.
    Kaelaasmom

Answer by Kaelaasmom at 10:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2009