How much it would cost me to hire a Doula?

I live in CT, does anyone has an idea of how much it cost to hire a doula? does she charge by day or hour? Is it worth the money?

Paty_hotmommy

Asked by Paty_hotmommy at 7:54 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pregnancy

• My birthing class instructor is a doula and she says that if you want a doula...your looking at anywhere between 200-900 dollars.

smnice: a doula is someone who is there with you from start to end and helps you with relaxation techniques and coaches your. She does not replace your partner but that way your partner can be your partner and support while the doula helps you with labor and birth. Thats my understanding and I am sure someone will correct me.
    Anonymous

• What's a doula?
    smnice

Answer by smnice at 7:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Some doulas will do set fees some will negotiate or have sliding fee scales. Some charge based on experience or extra services they offer. Call around and ask for prices. Best of luck.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 7:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My massage teacher is a doula and she had a flat fee of $300. No matter how long your labor lasts. That is really cheap and many do things differently. Just call around and see what is offered in your area. You might find some really nice opportunities.
    bluelady27

Answer by bluelady27 at 8:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Anon that is correct. I am a birth doula and that is a good description.
    miriamz

Answer by miriamz at 9:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2009