At what age did you daughter/son learn how to ride a 2-wheel big bike

My daughter is 6 1/2yrs old, and still rides her 16inch bike with training wheels. And she loves riding it all the time, in the nice weather. She told me that she'll ride a bike without training wheels when she is 10 LOL... Any ways to help her want to learn faster.

kathynej7142007

Asked by kathynej7142007 at 7:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• my first son did it at 4 and my other son didn't try until he was 6. They will do it when they are ready.
    halfpint6niner

Answer by halfpint6niner at 8:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son was four and daughter was 7. I didn't teach them. First they pushed around with their feet for a bit and learned to balance. After that they just took off. we have a slight slope in the sidewalk and that helped them a bit too.
    InsanitySpeaks

Answer by InsanitySpeaks at 8:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yea, I know eventually they will learn on there own. I myself I was like 4-5 I think. She has tried a 2 wheeler bike, and as soon as she fells like she is loseing her balance she will get off the bike. Hopefully this summer.
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 8:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Feel blessed that she is at least outside riding a bike. It seems like most kids these days don't know how to ride a bike. My nephew is 5 and doesn't know how and doens't seem interested. I think I was around 5 when I learned and the first time ran into a tree head first and bent the handle bars!! LOL
    Josie395

Answer by Josie395 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Ours is five and learning. He has a problem with doing things he's not good at right away and we have to just tell him keep practicing rather than pouting and quitting if he can't do it on the first try.
    He often keeps asking to have the training wheels back on because it's easier, but we told him he just has to learn.

My brother was 6 and still didn't want to learn either. He did eventually - I think by 7 or 8.

Just pull the wheels off and teach her or just wait till she says she's ready. It'll come. :)
    Anonymous

• My son will be 8 in June & has no desire to try... we took the training wheels away...but he wont do it. Maybe when the nice weather starts he'll change his mind... I think he's just afraid of falling. Good luck, she'll do it when she's ready or when she sees a good friend doing it.
    luvmyboys2

Answer by luvmyboys2 at 8:45 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my son was 4 but he has been a hell on wheels since he was 2.
    zachysmommy04

Answer by zachysmommy04 at 9:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• almost 4 for my youngest, 5 for my oldest.
    Mrs_Harsh

Answer by Mrs_Harsh at 10:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think my daughter is afraid of failing by not riding the bike with 2 wheels.. As soon as she starts to fall one time, she doesn't want to try again.... I have to encourage her to try again....
    kathynej7142007

Answer by kathynej7142007 at 10:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My daughter is the same way. She wants to ride but is afraid. We decided that this summer the training wheels come off. She has a helmet, elbow and knee pads. She either will learn or she wont.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 12:28 AM on Jan. 22, 2009