Make it stop!

My 6 month old daughter has 8 teeth and now she has a terrible habit of grinding them. Not only is it not good for her teeth but it drives me NUTS! Ill bop her on her mouth and tell her no. and sometimes Ill try sticking my finger or a pacifier in her mouth so she'll chew on that instead. But this hasnt stopped her from doing it... will she ever stop?

Scoochiesmommy

Asked by Scoochiesmommy at 12:59 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Oh, she'll stop. She's probably just "playing" with her brand new teeth and trying to get used to them.
    jaschem

Answer by jaschem at 1:02 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• You should ask your doctor about somethings that could help with that.... but when my kids were younger (I know is sounds bad) I used to smack their mouth and tell them no. I didnt want them getting into the habit of this...grinding can be a very serious problem! They dont do it anymore. Sometimes my oldest does it in his sleep sometimes but I cant really do anything about that. The dentist said it isnt doing any damage.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 1:03 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My son does this too. I asked our pediatrician and dentist if they could recommend any ideas to get him to stop, and they both told me it is a phase that most kids go through and that they'll outgrow it in time. Since baby teeth are just placeholders anyway, it doesn't really matter. As for that obnoxious noise it makes - I'd suggest maybe turning on some background music or something so that it doesn't grate on your nerves....
    Anonymous

• You hit a six month old??? IN the mouth???? You should be ashamed. Clearly her biggest issue is not teeth grinding, which is perfectly normal BTW.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 2:24 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My Mom is a dental assistant with 30 yrs exp., this is totally normal and is will stop. She is just figuring out what these new things do. Disicplining her will probably make her do it longer, distraction is great, she will stop soon enough.
    NMW

Answer by NMW at 4:12 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Never said I hit her.. thanks for going off the deep end and being completely rude about it. I said I bop her in the mouth... as in tap my finger on her lips. Thanks for the help everyone else...
    Scoochiesmommy

Answer by Scoochiesmommy at 2:55 AM on Jul. 20, 2008

• Bop is hit...you should NEVER hit (however you want to put it...bop, smack, tap whatever....) a child in the mouth, Espeially one who is clearly (to any normally intelligent person) way too young to even understand discipline in any form. Particularly for something totally normal. Maybe you should trying asking your doc or dentist before you punish a tiny baby for a natural activity. Call it whatever you want. Your behavior is abusive.
    NorahSethsMommy

Answer by NorahSethsMommy at 8:02 PM on Jul. 20, 2008

• And you're just ignorant. I would definately understand if you have unruly children that misbehave.
    Scoochiesmommy

Answer by Scoochiesmommy at 4:04 AM on Jul. 21, 2008

• All mine did this she will stop. Let her enjoy her new chippies mom, it is so natural!
    rosetoes

Answer by rosetoes at 2:54 PM on Jul. 21, 2008