Any good medication suggestions for motion sickness for a 3 year old?

My son is 3 and has extreme car sickness in the morning only. We live in a different state than my family and friends but close enough to drive so we drive often. I'd also like to be able to run errands in the morning without having to load a few changes of clothes, towels, and a bucket for my son. I have tried all avenues without medication with no luck and desperate for a good medication for him. Anyone been through this and have a good suggestion?

Asked by CassiRae3 at 4:49 PM on Mar. 16, 2012 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• Have you tried some ginger about 20 minutes before you leave? Some health food stores carry ginger chews that may really help. If you can't find those, a little bit of ginger ale or tea would probably be beneficial

Answer by BrawnwynII at 4:57 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• I use Liquid Gravol for my dd. I'm not sure what age you can start but next time you are at the pharmacy take a look at the bottle. Ginger didn't work for us. I had to buy the Little Green Machine from all her episodes in our vehicle. The Gravol works.

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 5:02 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• have you tried lemon drops? that's the only thing that worked for me on long drives through missouri hills

Answer by ilovemymonsterr at 5:26 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• My kids can't ride in the car for very long after that eat anything remotely sweet. So oatmeal, sweet rolls and any kind of sugary cereal is off limits on mornings I know I have to drive. Since at least 1/2 of *most* breakfast choices are sugary to some extent we only noticed it in the AM. I would try just dry cheerios for breakfast then do a piece of fruit between stores to prevent "issues"

I am not saying this is your child's problem. Just something to consider.

Answer by But_Mommie at 5:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• Im going to try all your suggestions and the sugary breakfast foods do not help but he gets sick whether he eats or not.

Comment by CassiRae3 (original poster) at 5:37 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• My mom used to give us Dramamine, which we called "banana medicine," but it does make you sleepy.

Answer by missanc at 6:11 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• chamomile tea
    ginger tea
    ginger chews
    peppermint tea

Answer by rkoloms at 8:41 PM on Mar. 17, 2012