Anyone else think this is a stupid thing to do

I turned on the oven to preheat for dinner. Meanwhile I'm prepping other stuff. Then about 15 mins later I start to smell smoke. What the heck, is something in the oven? So yeah, I open it up and inside the oven is this pan with a paper towel and a grease covered regular towel that was starting to turn black (hence, the smoke!). DH put it in there. Yay. WHY?

Was it stupid of me not to look when there's normally nothing IN the oven, or just stupid that he put it in there without telling me in the first place?

Just annoyed.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• I think you should had checked first, but he is really the stupid one.
    Yve538

Answer by Yve538 at 8:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• That's happened to me, but with a toy and it smelled like plastic...I check from now on LOL!!!
    prettyrayray

Answer by prettyrayray at 8:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It wouldn't have occurred to me to check, either. He should not have put it in there.

Answer by Bmat at 8:34 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I never check, he shouldn't have put it in there.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 8:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Well, I'd be annoyed at the hubby first for putting it in there and second for not letting me know! But I learned to always check the oven before turning it on the hard way. I was preheating for morning muffins, happened to see what I thought was fire through the oven window, and opened it to release toxic smoke from melting Tupperware! I have always checked since!
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• **Learned the hard way to always check the oven**

It didn't make sense to me after I sent it! And, the Tupperware was MY fault. I stored it on top of the fridge at that time and put it in the oven b/c we bombed for fleas. I forgot it was in there.
    PSMother

Answer by PSMother at 9:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Ha ha! It only has to happen once for you to start checking everytime!
    therbug

Answer by therbug at 10:50 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• therbug is so right! I think we've all done it. I did it to myself. I hate having dishes in the sink when there is company over, and my MIL has a habit of practically calling from my driveway, so I shoved the dirty dishes from the sink in the oven real quick and forgot about them. It made an awful mess.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 11:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Hubby was silly but I always check. Our neighbour turned on the oven 4th of July and forgot she hid the dish rack and plastic drip tray in there.

She left it so long that it melted all over the oven and started a fire. Luckily we were home and had an extinguisher to put the fire out. Her hubby was outside for hours trying to clean the melted plastic off their new oven.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I'm curious..did you find out why he put it in there? I would've been a little peeved at him myself, but I do usually check just because I know my son sometimes sticks pans in there after he cleans them because he doesn't have the magic touch with the pan rack getting them all to fit lol.

My son also made homemade mac & cheese over Thanksgiving for his friends, used too small a baking dish, and left melted cheese ooze in the oven. Well, my daughter went to start on the holiday cookie baking a couple days later, so she was preheating the oven...15 min later the kitchen was smoky and acrid, and we had no idea what the heck it was (since it was black by now), until I saw yellowish oil dripping off the rack. I could've kicked his bootie that night!
    jespeach

Answer by jespeach at 1:18 AM on Jan. 22, 2009