How do you burp your baby?

My baby spits up alot. What is worse for burping:

Burping him every few ounces but having him scream because he still wants the bottle, which makes him get upset and swallow more air.

OR: Burp him at the end of the bottle when he's full but then he has a huge burp that brings up spit up?

Both ways he spits up but I'm trying to see what way works better. I think if he's going to spit up either way, then I should just wait to the end so he doesn't have to get so upset. Any suggestion for how I could burp him without him getting upset. I've tried every position to burp him too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:30 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would wait until about 3/4 of the bottle was finished to burp. that way you have fed enough that they aren't starving, and they aren't quite full enough to spit everything up. You can then also finish after the bottle with another burp if you feel it is necessary. My son will also take a "binky" to keep him calm until he burps.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• After a few ounces is better.

Anonymous

• I've never bottle fed, so I don't know..
    I know when I'm BFing, if my daughter starts getting cranky and screaming at the breast that she needs a burp, so I pick her up and burp her, then relatch her if she wants more..
    If she wants a long feed, then I allow her a long feed and she burps after.
    Spit up is not a big deal, really..
    Liyoness

Answer by Liyoness at 8:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think it depends on the kid. My daughter wouldn't burp every few ounces....she just screamed for more. I found it was better to just burp her at the end of the bottle. However, I've seen other babies that are just fine with burping every few ounces. Do what feels right to you.
    ANGIE409

Answer by ANGIE409 at 8:44 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I have twins, and my one daughter, Aubree, had that problem. She would spit up often - and a lot at a time. We went to burping her after every ounce, and that seemed to help. She was NB to about 6-8 weeks with that, i believe, maybe a little longer. Now she's 3mo and she goes about 3oz then a good burp or two, then the rest of her bottle and then another burp. My other girl, Kylie, can go the whole bottle without burping and be ok most of the time, but she usually lets me know if she needs to burp by spitting out the bottle. So it depends on the baby, but i'd try the burping after every ounce or two for a while. How old is he? Maybe he just needs his digestive system to develop a little more. Hope my situation helped =)
    KeikoRose

Answer by KeikoRose at 9:40 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would always burp my son after half of his bottle was gone. Then gave him the rest and burped again. I was thrown up on way to many times trying to wait until the end.
    adg0114

Answer by adg0114 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my daughter was the same way. she would scream when i stopped to burp her and would let out the biggest burp in the end no spit up though. however most babies spit up if its a lot try and feed himless ive heard. or try a different bottle i use playtex drop ins and push the air out. it creates a vaccum when the baby drinks and less air fills the bottles
    SummerMom072208

Answer by SummerMom072208 at 10:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son never burped half way through the bottle so I burped him after the bottle was gone. I always kept a rag near me so when he burped just in case he throw up it would be on the rag that I could just wash or trash & not on me.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 11:01 PM on Jan. 21, 2009