BF AND UTI

I developed awful left mid abdomen pain at 4p then it got worse so I went to urgent care, and they confirmed w/urine that it was bladder infection. I've had them before but never such a pain in my abdomen. Well I was rx'd macrobid but I'm afraid to take it while BFing. I'm trying to drink lots of water and cranberry juice. So far after 5 6oz glasses I only peed a little as earlier at the clinic. Should I take the medicine?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• did you ask the doctor?
    Anonymous

• Number one, ALWAYS inform a doc that you are breastfeeding, That should be the first thing out of your mouth. Secondly, call the walgreens pharmacy. They are open 24 hours and someone can tell you whether or not it's safe, if it's not, don't take it. Continue to breastfeed, but go BACK to the doc ASAP and inform them that you need a script for nursing mamas.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:38 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I just looked it up online, as long as your baby is over one month old and not premature, it is safe to take. Next time inform the doc.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 8:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• kellymom.com has a whole page just for questions like this.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I had told the doc I'm bf ing because I told him I had not been drinking water as well as I should. And he scolded that I need to for BF. Well I am drinking lots of sweet tea. Anyway I don't know how I got it. The pain occurred after wipe from BM and I always wipe downward, but I'm suspicious as I never had problem before now w/tea (as water). I will call another Pharmacist. My Ped nurse said its okay to take right after BF so it has time to metabolize out of milk. I apparently have it bad enough that it caused the pain, so I'm nervous that I really should take meds asap, but 10days, and she hates bottles. I just want to be able to drink lots to flush it out, just don't know if thats possible.
    Anonymous

• You can buy cranberry capsules at walmart. They are in a pink bottle, and sold near the vitamins in the pharmacy area. Take 8 per day for 4 days. YES, 8. You can take them at once in the morning. Then take 7 per day, then 6, then 5, and so on untill you are taking 2 per day. Continue everyday and you will never have a UTI again , I promise. This workds great for me. The medicine is fine no matter when you take it in corolation to breastfeeding as long as your baby is older than one month.
    navy-wife

Answer by navy-wife at 9:48 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yeah if the doc new you were breastfeeding. Definitely take it!!! I had a uti turn into a kidney infection. You think the UTI hurt just wait! And yes this was when I was breastfeeding and I was rx'd macrobid. Make sure to take your dose on time and finish the rx. Very inportant. Oh, by the way, sometimes taking antibiotics can cause yeast infections due to it killing the "good" bacteria. My baby did end up with thrush, which I got on my nipples. So make sure you keep em clean and dry, let them air dry.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 9:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Thrush is a yeast infection in the mouth, Gentian Violet gets rid of it with one application.
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 9:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009