Is it ok to use muscle rub while pregnant?

I'm 10 weeks and read the back and it didn't mention for me to talk to my doctor so im just curious.

emillee19c

Asked by emillee19c at 9:25 PM on Mar. 16, 2012 in Pregnancy

• Yes, it's fine.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:27 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• You should be fine, as 3libras says.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:29 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• Well DANG! I didn't use it because I was worried. I wish I had thought to ask such smart moms.

SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 9:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• Thanks!
    emillee19c

Comment by emillee19c (original poster) at 9:30 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

LOL, personally I couldn't have while pregnant. I normally can't stand the smell of the stuff, so I wouldn't gotten sick smelling it while pregnant. But, I did frequently use the heated back patches, which my Dr said were safe.
    3libras

Answer by 3libras at 9:33 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• Yeah, there are a few that have aspirin in them (I think Icy Hot is one) that should be used minimally but the plain menthol rubs are okay.
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:34 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• Yes, as Brawnwynll stated, you need to check the label to make sure if Aspirin is in the one you are using or not. I know I used to rub Vicks Vapo rub on my sore muscles as my doctor had okay'd it for use when I had colds.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 9:42 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• "I know I used to rub Vicks Vapo rub on my sore muscles as my doctor had okay'd it for use when I had colds."

And, honestly, it's basically the same thing but maybe a little more menthol. Just a lot more expensive :D
    BrawnwynII

Answer by BrawnwynII at 9:48 PM on Mar. 16, 2012

• I mean the muscle rubs are more expensive than the Vicks
    BrawnwynII

• Don't waste your money... it only works if you are trying to release trigger points and it help's you stretch a muscle, and then only if you rub it into the muscle belly. And even then it's iffy at best - you are more then likely only getting a placebo effect. If you have pain you are better off to ice x 20 minutes several times a day. Either way it's always best to talk to your doc about YOUR specific issue since we don't know where you pain is or what is causing it!!
    Crafty26

Answer by Crafty26 at 10:10 PM on Mar. 16, 2012