MY 14YR. OLD DAUGHTER WANTED TO DO A ESSAY ON ABORTION,I WAS TOTALLY AGAINST THIS, I TRIED TO TELL HER, THIS WASN'T APPROIATE FOR 8th GRADERS. SHE STILL UNDERSTAND, THE ASSIGMENT WAS,WRITE AN ESSAY ON A DEBATED SITUATION. WHAT DO YOU MOMS THINK,DID I OVER-REACT.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 8:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Teens (13-17)

• I think she picked a good one. Let her do it.
    Anonymous

• I think that maybe you did overreact slightly. Yes it is a large topic for someone so young, but she seems bright enough to have chosen a topic that has been of debate for so many decades. Let her do it. She might learn something and so will you. I think that it would def be okay.
    coala

Answer by coala at 9:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I would double check with her teacher to make sure there is no problem there.

But that is a great topic. I was always interested in learning about abortion, even at a young age. Mainly b/c I am so against it.

Support her momma, she is growing up, kids are learning about these things now and days, better to have the right information than the wrong!
    mom2twobabes

Answer by mom2twobabes at 9:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• no debate topic isn't totally appropriate really. it's not like the issue should be hidden from anyone, even 8th graders. the point is to get people thinking & debating. i think it's an excellent topic.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:02 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think you over reacted. It's a great topic, and really 8th grade is probably a good time to start a debate such as abortion. In her research she may find out things that will make her think twice about becoming sexually active before she's ready. And it would be a good way for the two of you to have a discussion as well. If the school doesn't have a problem with it, then I think it's a really good idea.

Anonymous

• I kind of agree with you, I remember when I was in middle school and we did a similar project. A girl I went to school with did the same topic, she also made a huge display board and went on and on...I dont remember what was said but I will always remember a girl ended up having to leave the room because she got sick to her stomach. Later on I found out that that girl that had left the room had an abortion because she was raped by her uncle and her mom made her! I dont think this subject is fully understood or really appreciated until highschool, if that makes any sense. Good luck with your daughter, its good that she understands, when I was that age I didn't "understand" any thing my parents had to say!
    laurenparent

Answer by laurenparent at 9:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• THANK YOU LADIES, I WAS SO CONFUSED, BEING A MOM AND GRANDMOM AT THE SAME TIME CAN BE HARD, IT SEEMS MY YOUNGER DAUGHTER IS GROWING UP SO MUCH FASTER THAN MY OLDER KIDS,THEY WOULD HAVE NEVER THOUGHT OF WRITING ABOUT ABORTIONS. THANK YOU AGAIN.
    Anonymous

• My 9 y.o. is far more advanced then my 15 y.o. daughter was. They learn from their older sister and I think we are easier after already gone through that age. Information and knowledge is good. I would think through studying abortion she would also learn how emotionally difficult it is. On her own she will learn more than you might feel comfortable or she would have asked. I would say let her do it, be supportive and answer questions.
    Havingfun13

Answer by Havingfun13 at 9:42 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think that I would have let her do it. It would have been a great teaching lesson for you. you would have been able to talk to her about it and to let her know what your views are.

Everyone does what they think is best and if you were not comfortable with her doing it on that subject that is okay. I would just make sure she understands why you did not want her doing it on that because she may look into the subject anyway and if she has questions about it she may not come to you with them.

Just my opinion.

Good Luck
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• She needs to be educated about the real world around her what is happening and be able to stand her ground in what she believes and expresses herself.At 18 she will be a voter and her vote counts.Do not hide her from what's going on to overprotect her mind or it'll all come crashing down what kind of world do I live in later. Communicate with this child teach this child.You are expanding her mind and potential.
    Anonymous