Do you consider Jehovah's witnesses a cult?

I was raised one, but my family wised up and got out when I was about 11. This whole religon has messed my belief system up. I can't stay involved with any church, I always end up getting turned off. Not to mention the emotional damage I have. I'm curious to see if I'm the only one.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I think every religion is a cult. They all try to persuade you to believe in their doctrine, when in truth, they know nothing. Nobody can know the full truth of anything, much less, the purpose of a "God" or "God figure." It's by faith alone that religion survives. In the end, nobody knows a damn thing and they won't know until it's their turn to die, or maybe they won't.
    Anonymous

• I have heard storys, but don't know facts.
    I can't stand Jehovah's, they are pushy with the religion and get on my nerves.
    Anonymous

• No...I know a few Jehovahs Witness's and I love them, actually my sister is one! That religion isnt for me but I do not judge what others believe.
    MommyMel03

Answer by MommyMel03 at 1:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I knew one at my work she was very nice to me I dont think its a cult I dont know all there views but I know a little
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 1:39 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I think a lot of Christian churches teach that JW is a cult because their teachings are different than mainstream, fundamentalist Christianity. When I look at the common definition of a cult, though, I don't put JW into that group. I tend to see both JW and LDS as Christian churches with some alternative beliefs.

Personally, I take an approach that is more in line with the Eastern religions - I think that any path that leads you to God is a good path. To me, Cults are groups that, instead, lead you to worship a man as if he were a god.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 1:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I will be honest, without having to hide. It depends on how one is defining cult. By dictionary definitions, no, but I do consider them a seperate religion from Christianity. I can go into more detail if anyone wants it. There are other definitions I have heard of a "cult" that they may fall under - not the sort of freaky cult like you see on TV but according to these definitions any religious group that do not agree with the basic tenants of Christianity is considered a "cult".
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 1:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Like Billy Graham, he defines a cult like this ... "Whenever any group claims that they, and they alone, have all the truth about God, then an alarm bell should go off in your heart and mind. Christ alone is "the way and the truth and the life" (John 14:6)Cults also often have a strong leader who demands total and absolute obedience; some cults even require their members to cut themselves off from their families. Another characteristic of many cults is that they reject the Bible, or claim their founder's writings are also divinely inspired. The basic mark of any cult, however, is that it rejects the divinity of Jesus. The Bible teaches that Jesus Christ was God in human flesh—that He alone was both fully man and fully God. Cults, however, deny this, and often confuse people who aren't familiar with the Bible by twisting its meaning."
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 1:45 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It is not because they are different from "mainstream fundamentalist" they simply differ in the CORE Christian beliefs. It has nothing to do with fundamentalist.
    pwfaith

• "No...I know a few Jehovahs Witness's and I love them, actually my sister is one! That religion isnt for me but I do not judge what others believe."

I agree with this for the most part (except the my sister part lol) I'm always very polite and courteous when they come to the door. I don't avoid them. I don't try to convert them when they come or anything like that. I know several and I think they are beautiful people. I don't judge them as people but I do judge their beliefs against scripture, which scripture tells us to do in 1 John 4.
    pwfaith

Answer by pwfaith at 1:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• When the JW's come to the door, I, too, try to make them feel welcome. I have lovely conversations with Ellen, the JW who calls on us. I know that her witnessing is, in her mind, earning her a place in heaven. I'm honored that she likes me enough to want me there too.
    lawmom623

Answer by lawmom623 at 1:55 PM on Jul. 19, 2008