How can I get an ink stain out of a red polyester/cotton shirt?

annie_west1

Asked by annie_west1 at 9:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Try spraying hairspray on it and dabbing out the ink with a dry towel. Continue several times and then try washing with detergent on the ink spot.
    VirgoMom807

Answer by VirgoMom807 at 10:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Will that still work if the shirt has been through the washer and dryer? Or is the shirt a loss? Thanks for the advice. =)
    annie_west1

Answer by annie_west1 at 10:18 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i was going to say hairspray as well. its what my mom always said to use.
    CAarmywife

Answer by CAarmywife at 12:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Based on my experience, once the garment has gone through the washing machine and dryer, the stain is set. Hairspray has always worked on smaller ink spots for me. Make sure you place an absorbent cloth on the underside, saturate with hairspray and apply pressure with a cloth directly to the stain. The solution in the Dryel kits has worked very well for me on other stains.(works great on carpet stains) I've never tried to remove ink with it, though.
    I've also heard that WD-40 is effective for removing ink???
    DivaTrio

Answer by DivaTrio at 9:31 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We use Ivory soap, it gets everything out and keeps the kids shoes looking brand new!!!
    naynkiwismom

Answer by naynkiwismom at 1:12 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• not that you were asking about shoes, it also works on clothes for us!!! Sorry i'm sooo tired this morning!
    naynkiwismom

• Thank you all for your answers. I will try all of the above. This is one of my son's school uniform shirts and I don't want to have to buy any more. Thanks again.
    annie_west1

Answer by annie_west1 at 7:28 PM on Jan. 28, 2009