Exhausted! Need advice

I havent been around much I know I have been busy with my friends at the school doing things for the school. I am so exhausted. We are working on a mural for the art class and I am in charge of teaching the kids on their other assignments while the art teacher does the mural with them. I cant say this is the most fun I have ever had but I am so satisfied in making a real difference in the lives of all the kids I have been dealing with. It has changed my perspective on so much that I even changed my major to education this week.

I have a job offer now but it is at another school and I am not sure if I should take it? I would be working with emotionally challenged and special needs children at a special school just for them. They have counseling once a week for an hour included in their regular curriculum. Mostly we deal with abused children or children who are highly challenging and cant attend regular school from Kinder through 6th grade. Having my degree in Psych and now working on my education degree (32 credits to go yay), it would be a good fit BUT I would not be at dd's school. It is about 15 minutes away. I would be a teachers assistant until a full time teaching position came open which happens regularly at this school.

I also have another offer just to work in the lunchroom at dd's school until next year when a position comes open at her school than the principal would just place me in a class at dd's school. The money is not an issue, I can care less. My dh makes enough to support us. So which do you think you would take?

On a selfish note of course I want to stay with dd and Id miss my friends at school so much if they moved me, but on a career path I just dont know. I am already so close to so many of the children at dd's school too. I know I'd miss them.

Asked by gemgem at 8:35 AM on Mar. 17, 2012 in Money & Work

• The principal has an openning at DDs school in the fall? If that is a for sure then I would work in the caffeteria or just volunteer if you don't care about the money and take the job in DD's school
    Dardenella

Answer by Dardenella at 11:39 AM on Mar. 17, 2012

• Since you are still attending school, I would take the cafeteria position. The other job sounds very mentally and emotionally draining. And since money isn't necessarily a concern, you can still be with your child and possible get a job there once you get your degree. Good luck!
    JeremysMom

Answer by JeremysMom at 9:08 AM on Mar. 17, 2012

• I know you want to be at the same school as your daughter, but as she gets older does she want you there, too? We have many parents that are teachers in our school system, but they are teaching at different schools then their kids. If you are always around she will never be able to express her true self knowing that you are around. My mom was a teacher and I'm glad she taught at in a different school system. Going to the other school you would miss seeing the friends you made at the current school but teacher's do get together and there are always teacher's meetings. I would take the position at the special ed. school. It's in your field and would be very rewarding.
    robinkane

Answer by robinkane at 9:19 AM on Mar. 17, 2012

• I would go to the other school. In a few short years your daughter will be moving on to middle school and the job at the other school sounds like it would be great to put on a resume. But couldn't you just do lateral entry teaching and not have to go to school?

Answer by missanc at 9:41 AM on Mar. 17, 2012