Holy Spirit

What does the christian faith say the holy spirit is? This isnt a trick question I really dont know LOL

muslimmom

Asked by muslimmom at 1:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• When Jesus rose from the dead and ascended into heaven he promised to leave something behind to help us. This is the Holy Spirit. God is three in one...the Father, the Son and the Holy Spirit. The Holy Spirit is a comforter. He dwells within us (Christians).
    frankslittlered

Answer by frankslittlered at 1:42 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Most of mainstream Christianity believes in a Trinitarian God. 3 separate expressions, but of one essense or being, Father/Son/Holy Spirit. Each "expression" has a unique and defined role, but all are of one whole. It's a difficult concept, and one that most Christians (including myself) will never fully comprehend. Who can wrap their mind around the infinte God? The best I can come up with is water. Water can be solid, liquid, or gas, each with its own unique properties, but it is always H2O. So the Holy Spirit is one of the three manifestations of God.

Does that make sense?
    Redteux

Answer by Redteux at 3:29 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Here is more goodstuff from allaboutgod.com
    Although the Holy Spirit has all the characteristics of God, He has specific roles and functions in our lives. In John 16:13, we see the Spirit of Truth as our guide: “Howbeit when He, the Spirit of truth, is come, He will guide you into all truth: for He shall not speak of Himself; but whatsoever He shall hear, that shall He speak: and He will shew you things to come.”

In John 14:26, we learn that the Holy Spirit is our Counselor and teacher: “But the Comforter, which is the Holy Ghost, whom the Father will send in My name, He shall teach you all things, and bring all things to your remembrance, whatsoever I have said unto you.”

In 1 Corinthians 3:16, we see that the Holy Spirit lives inside us: “Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you?”
    motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 3:33 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Holy Spirit: Attributes of God
    The Holy Spirit, Father and Son all comprise a unified Godhead known in Christianity as the “Trinity.” A common misconception is that Christians believe in three different gods. This isn’t correct. While each “personage” is distinct in function, each shares together in the same deity and each reflects the divine attributes of the one living God.

motivesmom

Answer by motivesmom at 3:35 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• The Holy Spirit is that feeling that tells you when you are doing something that wouldn't please God, and some will say this is just your concsious, but befoer you were saved your conscious told you plenty was still ok that is no longer ok. The Holy Spirit is that feeling when you are worshipping God and Jesus and you feel so full adn complete. The Holy Spirit is what makes me feel Saved.
    feesharose

Answer by feesharose at 3:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Thank u all
    muslimmom

Answer by muslimmom at 3:44 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• He is the Lord, the Giver of Life, who proceeds from the Father and Son. With the Father and Son, He is worshiped and glorified as the third Person of the Godhead--the One indivisible, eternal being we call God, and whom we meet in human history as God the Father, as Creator; God, the Son, as Redeemer; and God, the Holy Spirit as Sanctifier.
    Readywriter

Answer by Readywriter at 5:22 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Jesus Said..
    John 14:26
    But the Counselor, the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in my name, will teach you all things and will remind you of everything I have said to you.

Thank you for this question, when I first became a Christian, I did not understand Who the Holy Spirit is....But, now as I have grown, He is the one that is here on Earth now until Jesus returns.......He is The Spirit of God, Jesus ( who is God in the flesh ).....So, when we need comforting, or guidance, wisdom, whatever we need, the Holy Spirit is the one here to take care of that for us....He is Who lives inside us.

The Father ( God ), The Son ( Jesus ), The Holy Spirit.....All separate but, yet, all the Same.
    Great Question, I just stumbled upon this part of Cafe Mom....Glad I did

Peace to You ;0)

mscoolbreeze

Answer by mscoolbreeze at 11:36 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• The bible has the answer  the HOLY SPRIT created the heaven and earth with God the Father and JESUS . He teaches us the bible.  HE comes in to our life when we give JESUS all of our sin. HE protects me HE teaches me the bible and other things I need to know and do. HE HOLDS the church to gather starting on Pentecost Sunday He will present us to JESUS when we the church leaves this earth in the rapture or up take.  Plus much more but this will help you  ask the HOLY SPRIT to help you understand and HE will help you just ask HIM and HE will. He is our helper in all things.
    yovonna

Answer by yovonna at 8:39 PM on Jul. 20, 2008