home improvements

we want to do some home improvements but not to much so that the new owners won't have the option of the house appreciating when they own it. what do think is the best home improvements for the money?

1.tile our bathrooms. should we do the same tile throughout the house or do up stairs baths different then down stairs.

2. front door (has plain ugly with minor dents but want a window one)

3. balcony off master br with french doors

4. new stair railing rather then the whole block wall stair way

5. french doors off to the patio

6. landscaping

i think the balcony with the french doors would over price our home for the neighbor hood and probably not get a good return on. also i think new stairs might get pricey. which combos would you like or would make the house more buy-able when the market goes up if it ever does.

melody77

Asked by melody77 at 9:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Home & Garden

• We are in the process of redoing some things in our house with the hopes that we will be moving in a couple years. We are tiling the bathrooms, changing the light fixtures, mirrors and counters. All of that can be done cheap enough, yet make them look sensational to a buyer! We are also taking up the carpet, and laying hard wood, and getting granite in the kitchen with a new sink. That again, because my husband will do the labor, will be cheap enough to make a big impact on a buyer, yet not break our bank! And yes, landscaping is a must! It doesn't have to be much, but has to be something! Small things are what you should do, no major remodeling, unless you are doing it for you!
    MommytoIsabella

Answer by MommytoIsabella at 4:28 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• i agree with u i think the balcony off master br with french doors is the best way to go
    Anonymous

• all those home shows on TLC taught me a ton.... the biggest things that sell a house is an updated kitchen and bath. The balcony sounds cool though :-)
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:50 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We gutted our house and the main rooms that I wanted updated were the kitchen and baths, I know everyitme I looked at a house I wanted to know what the master bath and kitchen looked like. They are also the most expensive to update so people are more inclined to go for a house that has already been updated in those areas...
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:58 AM on Jan. 22, 2009