he's hurt!

my cat got out again, he was gone for 2 days. He came back and he looked like he got in a fight. His mouth is swollen and it has a little bit of food and it smells really bad like fish and trash, he doesnt look to good. I don't know what to do. I Don't have money for a vet right now but I know he's hurt. Can any one give me advice. I really need it. Thank You.

babyangelromero

Asked by babyangelromero at 9:20 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Pets

• Ask luvinher .shes a tech
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 9:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Call around. I know by me (in Wheaton, IL) there's a place you can take your pets that will do an exam for way cheap. I'd call shelters and places like that and they can refer you.
    TheDiva320

Answer by TheDiva320 at 9:24 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Well the vet is the beat bet, i would call around some vets have a program where u can pay later.... we had to do it for are cat that got shot. if there isnt a vet near you that would do that , try giving him a bath and some warm milk, if u have children tylonal give the cat 0.9 ml of that and keep a close eye on him.
    Anonymous

• That's not an ideal situation to be in...I've been there before. My dog was hit by a car and I couldn't afford to take him in...his leg was broken. My dad set it for me and I put my dog in diapers and took care of him that way. I felt horrible though. I guess all you can do is doctor him up the best you can. They say not to give animals people tylenol. I did though, I gave my dog infant tylenol to help with pain...I don't know if it worked or not but he survived just fine. Clean him up and baby him....he's probably down a life but hopefully he'll be just fine.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 9:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• clean it REALLY good! You can use a warm salt water (good for oral infection, bacteria don't like the enviroment it creates) 2-3 times a day just squirt some on there. If the injury is on the outside you can use hydrogen peroxide and triple antibiotic. Check for signs of infection, hot to touch, swollen (I know he has this one), smell( this one too). Are his gums pink? If they are whitish then it is lack of blood or shock. You can also check his nose to see if he has a temp (it would be really warm) or do a rectal if you have a rectal thermometer.Make sure he has lots of water and is breathing okay (not panting continiously). Good luck!
    Caoimhe_Oona

Answer by Caoimhe_Oona at 9:29 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• They say not to give animals people tylenol. I did though, I gave my dog infant tylenol to help with pain...I don't know if it worked or not but he survived just fine.

DON'T GIVE THE CAT TYLENOL, IT IS VERY HARMFUL TO CATS (AND ISN'T SUPPOSE TO BE GIVEN TO DOG EITHER)

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:59 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• you can call the vet for free phone advice.
    halfpint6niner

Answer by halfpint6niner at 10:16 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

DITTO!!!!!!! DO NOT give your pets tylenol!!!!
    mamakirs

Answer by mamakirs at 12:51 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• our barn cats fight all the time. there are 3 toms, and each of them has had their bouts of infection. They have come home with their whole heads swollen, but of course since they are feral, my dad believes in and insists on "only the strong survive." I, myself, am not necessarily an advocate of that theory, but to this day those 3 toms are still out running around and survived. Unless there is a gaping mortal wound where an ear or lung is hanging off/out, he should be fine. Bring him inside, and keep him confined to an area, as if he does have an infection, you could contract the bacteria. But just do your best to make sure he's eating and drinking, and in a few days he will have cleaned himself up.

Remember too, cats heal from the inside out, so it may or may not appear to be healing right away. If you have any other questions, call your vet.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:46 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• OH! BEFORE I FORGET, AND YOU GET SCARED...

Animals' gums turn white or dark red (depending on the animal) when they are dehydrated. Not because of lack of blood. Just make sure there is clean, fresh water, and our cats have always preferred it to be room temperature.
    matobe

Answer by matobe at 5:49 PM on Jan. 22, 2009