Do you teach your child from a young age

the proper name of their private parts? We have and I think it is better to make a vagina and penis not a source of shame. What are others views?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:33 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in General Parenting

• Just b/c you call it something more "childfriendly" does not make it shameful.
    Anonymous

• you know, we dont. because the way i was raised, i was never even spoken about sex.. so i dont know how to teach him about that.. yet!!
    MommaBear1129

Answer by MommaBear1129 at 9:36 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think childhood is more fun with silly names for private parts.
    halfpint_ny

Answer by halfpint_ny at 9:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• We have different names for them because my daughter can't say vagina. She says 'Who Ha' although she calls her butt a booty lol. We always said different names when we were younger too but its because shorter names are easier to say.
    MizAnn

Answer by MizAnn at 9:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I totally agree with you. My children have known the correct name for their body parents since they were very young. I never wanted them to be in a situation were they did not understand something and I do not feel that the naked body is a bad thing.

I agree that it may not be shameful to call it something else. Just think of this. I had a friend growing up who told her that her vagina was called a Dee Dee. So that is what she called it. When we were about 10 a new girl moved into the neighborhood and we went over to meet her. Well guess what her name was Dee Dee and my other friend went home thinking she had a very bad name.

For me I like to be honest with my kids. Just my opinion to each their own.
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 10:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I call it like it is...penis and vagina. If my son want to call his penis "Junior", "mini-me" or whatever, I'll leave that choice up to him.
    JPsMommy605

Answer by JPsMommy605 at 10:17 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I dont think the proper names for private are shameful. To my son its his "winky" I dont kno how i started calling it that but one day i did n it just kinda stuck lol but when he gets older i'll tell him the right names so there wont be any confusing
    jjsmommi5

Answer by jjsmommi5 at 10:39 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• When we she asks we will teach her the proper names, but right now we call it a Who--Ha. I learned it from a 4 yo patient of mine about 5 years ago. I thought it was cute. We will use the proper terms when she is old enough. My SO calls his penis Pepe. When she asks it will be penis.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:41 PM on Jan. 21, 2009