Quitting smoking....

Going cold turkey.. any advice, tips, what worked for you?

lilbit837

Asked by lilbit837 at 9:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Health

• going cold turkey is tough, i had half a pack left and i just gave them to a friend cause i hate to waste and i just didnt look back, i was very irritable, chewing gum helps a lil and i also turned to eating.... gotta be careful bout that though, try to keep ur hands busy it helps, sometimes its just needing some thing to do, if u feel like ur going to start again go to a quiet place and take a few deep breaths and calm urself..... and try to stay away from people that do smoke it makes the cravings much worse....
    navywifemomkoch

Answer by navywifemomkoch at 10:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Ask your doctor about the persciption that you take twice a day for 7 days and by the 7th day you dont want to smoke. the meds actually make the tar stay on the receptors that make you crave a cig. thus eventually making you not want to smoke! im not sure what it's called. sorry!
    carolinagirl820

Answer by carolinagirl820 at 9:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Thank you for your response, but I don't have insurance.
    lilbit837

Answer by lilbit837 at 9:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• but be careful my brother had something like that (well both did) for chewing... and they're blood pressure went so high that the doctor said they should have been in cardiac arrest. so discuss that with yyour doctor and maybe if you get on it get a cuff and stuff to take your own blood pressure because that could be seroius
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 10:04 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i think you should do it slowly cold turkey is just too much.
    jodi205

Answer by jodi205 at 8:55 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I'm in the same dilema as u. I want to quit sooooo bad but its exactly what it is an addiction. I go to bed everynight saying tomorrow I will not smoke...I'll last till maybe the afternoon.. then when she goes down for a nap I try and keep busy but somehow I end up in my smoke room. I will quit!!!!
    BxMetroMom718

Answer by BxMetroMom718 at 11:34 AM on Jan. 22, 2009