my 2 month old woke up with a coating on her tongue....

it looks like she has formula on her tongue, but it doesn't wipe off, what can this be?

krisstencarmela

Asked by krisstencarmela at 1:43 PM on Jul. 19, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i dont remember exactly, but its normal. ask the pedia. theyll tell whether its thrush or not. thats normal too, and treated with antibiotics.
    briyeti

Answer by briyeti at 1:46 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• thrush my child had it when she got home from the hospital after surgery. it is not that serious but id take her in to the doc. the have drops for it. it is kind of like a yeast infection in the mouth
    audreymangels

Answer by audreymangels at 1:47 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It sounds like it could be thrush. My daughter had it when she was only about a month. Check for white spots on her lips and the inside of her cheeks. Take her to the doctor to check anyway if you can. Its a yeast problem and there are antibiotics for it if thats what it is.
    Scoochiesmommy

Answer by Scoochiesmommy at 1:48 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• Thrush. Rub plain yogurt in her mouth, the bacteria in it kills the infection and is alot more convenient than getting to the doctor and picking up a prescription. If that doesn't work in 2-3 days see a doctor, buut when my kids had it it worked over night.
    GreenGrace3_21

Answer by GreenGrace3_21 at 2:15 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• I think the last few posters have it right could be thrush. I would just make a Dr. appt to see for sure.
    klpeter

Answer by klpeter at 2:49 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It could be thrush, but ex husbands little girl gets this coating on her tongue from milk. It's more crusty looking, almost like a scab. It rubs off, though. Thrush needs medicine to get rid of it.
    drowninginboys

Answer by drowninginboys at 3:58 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• just stuff. more than likily its formula. ever look at your tongue when you brush your teeth theirs a coating. baby's too young for tap water so dont use tap water ok. its no big deal. u
    diamantina

Answer by diamantina at 4:25 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It might be thrush. Mild cases clear up on their own. Worse cases will need an anti-fungal medication. Antibiotics won't do anything for thrush.
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:34 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• My 2 month old daughter just had this: It turned out to be a yeast infection in her mouth. She got it from holding formula in her mouth too long. She was taking a long time to drink a bottle, so after the yeast infection cleared up, we bought new nipples and poked extra holes in them. The yeast infection is gone and she eats more quickly, which seems to satisfy her more.
    Beckie0517

Answer by Beckie0517 at 5:30 PM on Jul. 19, 2008

• It's called thrush....take her to the doc and they'll give you this stuff to put in her mouth....make sure you sterilize EVERYTHING that goes into her mouth and don't let anyone kiss her on her mouth until it's all gone...
    love_my_boys

Answer by love_my_boys at 5:41 PM on Jul. 19, 2008