My husband doesn't know how to read, he sounds un-educated when he talks and makes up words, where can you get help for something like this?

With that being said, how can I help him? He wants to learn how to read and write and talk better but everytime I correct him and tell him how it should sound or how he should use a different word he gets irritated with me! I found out that he has no learning disabilities, he did have ADHD when he was younger and the school tried telling his mom that he needed special classes and he needed to see a Dr. But she was an ignorant hick and threw a tantrum about it so they gave up and she let him drop out. His mom did all his homework, never taught him manners or the correct way to say sentences, he makes up words in his head and he sounds un-educated when he talks. How do you help someone like this? He is very embarassed by it as well, and his mom had him believing that he was born not knowing how to read. He is the best mechanic, husband and father you could ask for, just in need of some help and we don't know where to start.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:49 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• CONTINUED: Just my advice of course, but when you are correcting your husband, please be sensitive by NEVER doing it in public or making a big deal about it. I simply tell my husband when he mispronounces or misuses a word, "I just want to help you so you know next time..." then I tell him his mistake and explain the correct usage. He appreciates it b/c it doesn't make him feel inadequate or stupid. I often tell him how proud I am of him and keep encouraging him no matter what. If your husband has no learning disabilities, then maybe a little encouragement and creative incentive will go a long way toward keeping him from getting irritated when you try to help. Good Luck!!
    MsSallyC

Answer by MsSallyC at 9:23 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Awwwww, poor guy. I would teach him. I teach kids to read all the time!

I would start with your Dr's office, they should be familiar with MANY different types of help available for him. There are programs to help adults learn to read and many of them are free. But they are different in the various states. You might could call your local heath clinic as well. Possibly a local college or community center. Just some ideas.

All he needs his your support and some intervention. Good Luck!
    Anonymous

• I would suggest the county adult ed departments to get a good starting point. Is this something he wants to improve? I see a lot of wives on here that get married and then wonder why their man hasn't magically changed... I learned a long time ago trying to change another person isn't fair to anyone involved...

If it is something he really wants to improve for himself, he would probably do best to start with the adult education center (it's a governement thing- probably can be found in the phone book) and go from there.

I also want to say that there are many kinds of smart. Sounds like he is smarter than most in some ways, kwim? Make sure he understands that you feel that way!
    CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 10:55 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• poor guy he sounds like a real catch and I am in no way being a jerk I'm being sincear with you he sounds like a great man.

Well I would personally start by constantly complamenting him, your such a great dad, your such a great worker, your a genious with cars, your amazing in bed, etc...Work on him self esteem. He's going to think your pratonizing him at first but just tell him you have realized he's awesome esp. compaired to many of the women's husbands here on cafemom...lol You know what I mean.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 10:58 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Then, buy some preK learning books and go through with him
    don't get aggitaed with him and TRY BY ALL MEANS not to look irrated with him when he goofs. Remember he's a GOOD MAN, they don't really exsist anymore. SO love on him regardless. Give him insentives like bedroom fun...lol

Hugs and good luck...he really does sound great.
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 11:00 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• also check these out
    http://www.dltk-teach.com/index.htm
    http://www.learningplanet.com/
    http://www.kidzone.ws/prek_wrksht/index.htm
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 11:14 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• my bf has terrible grammer and poor reading skills- but boy can he count money!!! and fix things!
    he mis-pronounces at least 50 % of all the words he says or he makes them up it seems.at first this bothered me but i have found that if i stopped correcting him and spoke more proper around him he would follow my lead. i also gave him a book - jeff foxworthy redneck dictionary- and he reads it... it sounds simple to me but he gets it i think...if they get embarrassed they wont get better. try using those things he says incorrectly in proper form when u talk to him.. he will pick up on it..and if u dress him up really nicely and take him somewhere that he has to act more proper it will really influence how he speaks... he will upgrade into something better just for the moment.. it's like us gals putting a hot black dress on and some red lipstick and looking smokin hot... dress him up -take him out- be proud of him!!! Good luck!
    alwms

Answer by alwms at 11:15 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• he can take classes online..maybe that would help
    Anonymous

• oh check this one out, you can make a "tracer" page of his name oe other things on this one.

http://www.kidzone.ws/tracers/index.htm
    Happ-eToBme

Answer by Happ-eToBme at 11:59 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Try the library they usually have an adult literacy program :)
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 1:17 AM on Jan. 22, 2009