can my landlord get away with giving me a 30 day notice yesterday but having different dates on it?

Ok so yesterday we got our 30 days noticed he signed and dated of yesterday but the dates from begining to end for the 30 days is 1/7/09 to the 2/7/09. now the paper says 30 days from the date of service of this notice upon you. so 30 days from yesterday right? wth? what can or should we do now?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Relationships

• you 30 days fromthe day that you receive the notice. i had to ask my mom on that one she owns like 4 rentals... and its fromt he date of receipt. if i were you i would call the sheriffs office(they are usually the ones that handle forced evictions) and let them know that you only received the notice yesterday. that way, if your landlord tried to force the eviction you have already forwarned the people who would handle that.
    JacquiV

Answer by JacquiV at 11:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• hmmm..sounds like he dated it from when you were first late on rent. But no, if it states "notice unto you" then that should be the day your 30 days starts. Legally, serving papers starts the eviction process. If he gives you trouble, bring that up or you can fight it if he tries to kick you out earlier.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I am a former residential manager of 15 years. Here is my personal addy: grvfamily@yahoo.com If you would like any additional help then what I am about to give you now.

Not sure what state your in but, California Law states a landlord / owner has to give a 60 day notice, they can no longer give a thirty day notice to move. Only a resident can give a 30 day notice. Dates are very important so as to no confusion. The day the paper is served on you is the date the 30 or well 60 days will start. Let me now what state you are in and I will verify for you if they can serve a 30 day where you live. Problem is most renters do not know their legal rights and most landlords/owners count on that.
    genav

Answer by genav at 11:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• It should be 30 days from the date that you received your notice.
    micrespo

Answer by micrespo at 11:37 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• if should have been 30 days from the date you received it.. call the sheriffs office.. if the landlord wanted it done on a said date, and didn't deliver, he is in the wrong.
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 11:43 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Look in the phone directory for a number to the landlord/tenant hotline. They can answer questions like this and you will get the right answers, for sure.
    jdrae13

Answer by jdrae13 at 12:57 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Call The Sheriff and let them know he only served you yesterday just to cover your butt.
    Kari_Noelle

Answer by Kari_Noelle at 1:11 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• No matter if it's 30 or 60 days to legally evict you she has to go through the court system but I would comply to avoid this.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:09 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• ITS NOT AN EVICTION THOUGH ITS A NOTICE TO TERMINATE TENANCY.
    Anonymous