Worried?

we receive WIC for my daughters formula well the woman there made us watch a video the other day saying when she was six months to start useing a sippy cup for her juice well she is almost 6 mons. and im scared she is going to choke? When did your child start on a sippy cup?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:03 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• i've always been told to use a sippie cup at 8 or 9 months or even a year!
    marcelina08

Answer by marcelina08 at 11:05 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• that was always the 1 y.o. birthday present. loose the bottle get a sippy cup
    mandei1509

Answer by mandei1509 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My son didn't start until he was 10months. He didnt have one all the time but at least once a day. He still has a bottle and prefers it but I make him have juice in his sippy now and milk only in his bottle. They say to do that cause when they are one they tell you to cut off the bottle. But take it at your childs time not what every else tells you.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think the key word here is start. This just means introducing the idea of a sippy cup, not that she actually has to take it. That way when she gets old enough, she's already comfortable with the idea of the cup.
    danni33

Answer by danni33 at 11:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• that's just to experiment with the cup only under supervision, and a regular cup, not a sipppy- Buy the book what to expect the first year
    it's great for any question you'll ever have
    momma_teia

Answer by momma_teia at 11:13 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I gave my daughter a sippy at 5-6m and she did fine I did the same with my son and he did fine to. I gave her the one with a straw I forget who makes it but the straw was not one that could hurt her and it made it easier for her to drink it at her one pace. But if I may i suggest you use avent or the gerber ones they have spilt proof things in the cup that make it to were the juice wont come out fast.
    Anonymous

• I think we started our son on the sippy cup at almost one year. Just make sure to buy the starter cups, the flow on those isn't much. It took him a while to be able to drink from the ones with the straw, all babies are different. You just have to try different ones until you find one that your baby is comfortable with.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 1:27 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Yeah my ped. said 6 months as well- though any other mom will tell you your baby will pick it up when he/she is ready. Mine is 10 months and is just now understanding, no, it is NOT a rattle.
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 4:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009