is breastfeeding harder then feeding formula?

feeding baby

marcelina08

Asked by marcelina08 at 11:06 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Not really. It truly depends on you and your child. I nursed for 21 months and there are definite conveniances to nursing. Breastfeeding is the perfect temperature, and the perfect food lol.. unless you pump you don't mess with bottles, or trying to mix formula or warm it up etc.

But there are some times that breastfeeding can be harder... especially the first few weeks. :) Why do you ask?
    celticreverie

Answer by celticreverie at 11:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• OMG yes!! BF takes much work and dedication. I give it up to all the mama's who do it successfully...I am not one of those mama's.
    MammaMia72

Answer by MammaMia72 at 11:07 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I don't think so! I breastfed until my son was 8 months old, I had to switch to formula at that point because I'm pregnant with my second and nursing was causing me to have bad cramping. I actually find it harder to constantly have to think about keeping bottles clean and making sure I have formula with me, lol.
    dedicatedrider

Answer by dedicatedrider at 11:09 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yes its a whole lot harder. I wanted to try but my son just wasnt latching on so I had to go to formula. I was just getting stressed and so it made him stress. there are a lot of places that can help you with it that I didnt know about. Even websites.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 11:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Nope. It takes a little more work to learn though. I'd say by the first week you'd be a seasoned pro. And by a month you'd be able to feed in public completely discretely :) I actually had someone compliment me on that once. I think bottle feeding is harder in the long run because you have to warm the milk, wash the bottles, etc. The amount of laundry and chores about the house seems to triple anyway when a baby comes and I hate washing bottles, lol. I did a combo because my milk didnt' come in right away. And then I pumped like a mad woman to get my supply up. I know it isn't the recommended thing but it really helped me not put too much pressure on myself while we were learning and my body was trying to get on board :)

CooksWife

Answer by CooksWife at 11:10 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• depends on your definition of hard. It's a lot of work in the beginning, but gets easier. And it's free.

Formula is a permanent commitment to bottles, washing and paying through the nose. Unloess you get WIC.

Answer by gdiamante at 11:11 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• i just had my baby on monday and breastfeeding her is going pretty good so far but yes it does take alot of work and dedication im feeding her for about an hour every 2 hours all day and all night long!!! I was not very succsesful with my other 3 and found that making a bottle and feeding them for 10 mins or so was much easier but for money and for her health wise and just for a personal goal of my own i am gonna stick with this as long as it keeps commin in!!
    scaredmommy08

Answer by scaredmommy08 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• I think it's much much harder to get into a good routine with your baby. Some babies are naturals at it, others aren't. It all depends on how dedicated you're willing to be. It's really difficult in the beginning.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 11:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Yeah the cleaning of the bottles sucks,but if you get the bottles with the bags you just clean the nipples. My son didnt like his bottle warmed. He just wanted the water room temp. so that wasnt a big deal to me.
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 11:12 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• The first couple days it hurts like hell... but then I did it for about 9 months because my son started getting teeth and started biting.. but the in between time was so much easier .. plus my pumping time was my ME time.. I could get a break and just play computer games and stuff. It was such a bonding experience, I can't believe some women don't even try...it's the best thing for your baby. I cried for like a week when I stopped, I felt terrible but I just couldn't hang in there anymore. I have twins on the way.. and somehow some way I will atleast breastfeed half of the time.
    just4today21

Answer by just4today21 at 11:16 PM on Jan. 21, 2009