I'd like to start making my baby's food. Any suggestions?

So my question basically says it all. I'd like to make my baby's baby food, instead of buying it, but I have no idea where to begin. Any suggestions, advice, recommendations, personal experience, etc. are very welcome! Thanks in advance!

Mrs.BAT

Asked by Mrs.BAT at 11:19 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Food & Drink

• There is a book called Super baby foods. It is great. It explained which foods where better to buy organic, when eat fruit was ripe for baby and how to prepare.

I mainly prepared fruits and avocado etc for our son. He couldn't tolerate a lot of food acids so I did not preserve them with lemon juice. I used to make enough of one fruit to fill a few ice cube trays, cover them with foil and freeze. Once they were frozen, I would transfer them into a freezer bag and label with a used by date (info is in the book by food). It took a while when I first started but once you have your staples made I could do one new food a week and have enough in the freezer when I needed them.

There are fancy storage trays you can use but a lot of items you already have.
    AussieMum2

Answer by AussieMum2 at 11:31 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• For veggies, anything we had for dinner that night (except corn), was cooked with no salt or spices and a little bit was thrown into the coffee grinder (or a good blender). We did peas, carrots, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes this way. For applesauce, i peeled and cubed up apples and cooked them in a little water until they were mushy then blended them up. It also works well for pears, canned peaches, etc. However, if you used canned fruit, make sure to drain and rinse it well first before cooking and blending. Bananas just got thrown in the blender with a little formula.
    We made all our baby food for all 3 kids. I stopped to buy some at the store the other day when i was short on time and almost had a heart attack at the cost. 2 bucks for a small jar of applesauce? you got to be kidding. For 2 bucks I can get 5 lbs of apples and make enough organic applesauce to drown the dog.
    plylerjones

Answer by plylerjones at 6:41 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you can afford a Vita Mix or Blend Tec blender--it will make it a lot easier:-)
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:21 AM on Jan. 22, 2009