baby back hair

My daughter is multi-racial - I am white and her father is black and puertorican. She has very dark hair... not only on her head but also on her back. She is 8 months old, and has had it since birth. It's kind of long too and right above her butt crack there is a little tuft of hair.
Anyone else that has had a baby with back hair, did it always stay like that? I am worried because there was a girl I went to school with who had dark back hair and she got made fun of for it. I know that is a far off concern... but I dont want her to deal with that too.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 11:22 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I'm Italian and my kids had the same thing. My son had it and it went away eventually(he's 2 now, I don't remember exactly when). My daughter is 6months now and she still has her hair all over the place.
    Don't worry about it, I think a lot of Italian's, Puerto Ricans, Greeks and other cultures that tend to be hairy have the same thing.(I'm not trying to offend anyone but it's the truth!) Anyway, most likely it'll go away and if it doesn't when she's old enough to care about it, you can have it taken care of.
    Paesana82

Answer by Paesana82 at 11:56 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My fathers side of my family is Mexican and my husband is white. Our son had alot of hair on his back too. He's 2 1/2 now and still has some, not as bad as when he was born. I think most of that goes away. If not i'm sure are several options to look into once theyr'e older before they get self consious about it.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 1:14 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• My little sister is Italian,Scottish, and Native American. That gierl was harry all the wat down her back. But I think babies lose the thick dark hair before they are 5 yo. My sister did.
    _Sammie_

Answer by _Sammie_ at 1:48 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I dont know about nationalities- BUT- if your baby has a tuft of hair above her tush, you may want to have her spine checked. "dimples" and tufts of hair can be a signal for scoliosis or other vertebral defects. DONT freak out... it could be totally nothing..
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 2:33 PM on Jan. 22, 2009