what are the first things I should buy for my baby?

im only 13 weeks, but I want to start getting the things im gonna need. what are some good first things to buy? or make? or otherwise...

CountryLover22

Asked by CountryLover22 at 11:25 PM on Jan. 21, 2009 in Hobbies & Crafts

• I would buy blankets,onsies,sleepers,socks,wash clothes. Thats what I think I remember using a ton of and never had enough of
    JacobsMommy05

Answer by JacobsMommy05 at 11:28 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• Somewhere for baby to sleep. Lots and lots of burp rags =)
    Apr1l

Answer by Apr1l at 11:35 PM on Jan. 21, 2009

• My favorite washcloths were the four pack I got at walmart for $1. They are thicker and softer than most others.

If you want to make a bedroom set, I have a pattern. It has the sheet and pillows and bumper pads, the diaper holder, and others. Just PM me with your email and I will send it to you. It is to make a winnie-the-pooh set, but you could use any theme for it and just use the measurements. I already made a sheet for my daughter's toddler bed from the sheet pattern and it fit perfectly.

So, you are due around the beginning of August. It will most likely be very warm when your baby is born, so be sure to have plenty of newborn size onesies. They go through so many when they are so young, from diaper leaks and spit-ups. No matter how fast you change that diaper, you are going to have a few leaks.

(cont)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 12:45 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you will know the sex of the baby before the birth, go to garage sales this summer. You can find great deals on baby clothes. I found the most adorable clothes from baby gap, and old navy for practically nothing. Now that she has grown out of them, I kept my favorites to make into a quilt. Most of the rest I took to a consignment store to make some money to go garage selling with this spring and summer.

Receiving blankets. You can make them from soft flannel. We had a bassinet for our daughter and I used a large blanket to partially cover it to soften the light. So you could make a large and some small receiving blankets.
    (cont.)
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 12:52 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Lastly, one thing I did was to use a planner to record my appointments and what happened, like when we got to hear her heartbeat and how it made us feel. It had some journal pages in the back and I used that to tell her her birth story, how it all happened. Then I wrote a letter to her telling her how I felt. I have to say, I got very emotional writing it, and I would probably get very emotional if I were to read it now. But it is something she can have and know how special my pregnancy and her birth were to me.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 12:55 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• You could do that last with a nice notebook with pretty paper and then you could scrapbook everything later.
    casperskitty

Answer by casperskitty at 12:56 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• I bought one of those pregnancy calendars so you can record your weight and the babies weight and growth at each appointment. I actually didn't start buying much until we knew the sex and if you plan on having a baby shower you might wait until after that so you can see what your family and friends buy for you. My son wore mostly sleepers for the first few months b/c you want them to be comfortable. I had SEVERAL clothes in newborn sizes (obviously) and my son couldn't fit into alot of them b/c he was so tall. So careful on the sizes you buy, we ended up with lots of clothes that he couldn't even wear.
    Mommy0425

Answer by Mommy0425 at 1:08 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• If you are buying clothes, buy for ages 6-9 months or older. You will most likely get a ton of clothes for ages before that.

Another thing I didn't know is that if it says 9 months on the tag, it is for ages 6-9 months, NOT 9-12 months.

I would find a good thrift store and buy things in good quality from there. I love Goodwill Bargain Bin where I get things that look brand new for 20 to 30 cents each. I also joined my local Freecycle group at freecycle.org and have gotten a lot of good things secondhand for FREE.
    tyheamma

Answer by tyheamma at 10:44 AM on Jan. 22, 2009

• We bought the baby furniture and carseat, and then waited until after the shower to buy anything else. We got a billion blankets and outfits, and a good amount of stuff that we put on the registry too. We really didn't end up buying very much after that. Ooh, if you have/are getting a diaper genie, you should make sure to stock up on the bags for that.
    MicahsMom612

Answer by MicahsMom612 at 3:19 PM on Jan. 22, 2009

• Now: Pack-N-Play with a bassinet, crib and bedding, infant mattress pad (put a sheet on the bed, put the pad down in the center of the bed, put another sheet on the bed - saves time and effort in the middle of the night if the baby gets sick on the sheets or wets through the diaper), diapers, wipes, onesies, socks, footed sleepers. Make sure to take a few outfits to the hospital with you in DIFFERENT sizes.

My youngest was too big for newborn AND 0-3 clothes the day he was born! However, we had not gotten all his brothers old baby clothes out of the boxes yet so he had to come home in something two sizes too small. So, take a few sizes.
    Gypsy98

Answer by Gypsy98 at 4:45 PM on Jan. 25, 2009